Push - Pull Units

Could someone aim me at Photos / Sketches / Plans of LMS (MR) & SR units please?

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 07:14:17 +0100, Peter Abraham
Peter

You could start with a look in here - which is an index of drawings and articles in the model railway press.
http://home.ca.inter.net/~brmna/xrefs.htm
I've had a quick look, and there are a few articles for LMS and SR push-pull coaching stock. I'm not sure how old you want to go, but I note that some of the SR articles refer to pre-grouping units on the LBSCR. One of the LMS articles is good and shows a 1930 coach.
I've also got details of the Midland Railway units which were introduced at the turn of the previous century. The Midland used its standard 43' and 45' diagrams and converted the ends with two large windows.
I believe that BR were still converting stock to push-pull in the 1940/50 period. I think I remember a thread on this newsgroup some months ago on the subject.
I can scan what I've got and get them to you.
Jim.
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 08:52:38 +0000, Jim Guthrie wrote:

Thanks Jim
On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:04:59 +0100, Peter Abraham
Peter,

Here you go.....
http://www.sprockets.myzen.co.uk/pushpulllms01.pdf http://www.sprockets.myzen.co.uk/pushpulllms02.pdf
The 1930 LMS driving end from the Railway Modeller
http://www.sprockets.myzen.co.uk/pushpullmid01.pdf http://www.sprockets.myzen.co.uk/pushpullmid02.pdf http://www.sprockets.myzen.co.uk/pushpullmid03.pdf
The Midland 1907 43ft driving ends - taken from Dow and Lacy's book on Midland Coaching Stock. I'll have to do a bit more reading but I believe these units didn't last into the Grouping. But I did note in the same book that there is a picture of a 48ft Midland driving end taken in 1955 with LMS style windows, so maybe another conversion done in LMS or even BR days.
http://www.sprockets.myzen.co.uk/pushpullsr01.pdf http://www.sprockets.myzen.co.uk/pushpullsr02.pdf http://www.sprockets.myzen.co.uk/pushpullsr03.pdf
I haven't scanned all of the articles in the Model Railway Constructor on LBSCR push pull sets - I think I would be all night scanning a series that was spread over a few years :-) But this article features the sets converted by the SR in the early 30s.
Jim.

One of the summer 1985 issues (June or July) of Railway Modeller has an Arthur Whitehead drawing of a Stanier 57' push-pull trailer, plus a pic of the real thing and an article on how to build the old BSL kit. I think the Whithead drawing is reproduced from an earlier, much longer, series of articles on LMS coaching stock which appeared in RM in the late '60s. I've a feeling that another RM article from '85 might have an article (but no plans) by either D. Fereday Glenn or Robin Brasher dealing with the BSL kit of the Southern Region push- pull sets (converted from Maunsell stock with a driving end not unlike those used on Eastleigh-built EMU sets!), which dated from the '50s and replaced much older pre-grouping push-pull stock.
David Belcher

There is a book just out on SR push pull units:
An Illustrated History of SOUTHERN PUSH-PULL STOCK
by Mike King
published by OPC. ISBN 0 86093 596 5
--
John Bishop

"Peter Abraham" wrote

I know you asked for MR & SR trains Peter, but here are a couple of BR(NER) shots:-
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/67280a-SH-090455.jpg
http://www.53a-pix.co.uk/picture/67280b-SH-090455.jpg
John.
Thanks for your help ! XXXX
Peter... (And anybody else interested)
Have you got broadband access to the 'Net? If so, feast your eyes on this event which I both organised and photographed way back in 1966.
http://eddie-bellass.fotopic.net/c851162.html
After reading the intro (left hand column) click on the first image (a map), view it for a few seconds then scroll right down to the bottom of the page.
There are some options there, one of which is 'Full size', to expand the pictures. The other is 'Slideshow' which will take you through all of them in order, at a rate of about 10 - 15 seconds per image.
Enjoy!
--

Regards,

DigitisED (Eddie Bellass)
On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 10:20:56 GMT, "Eddie Bellass"

Thanks Eddie, I enjoyed that ( nearly missed it during my news-servers hiccups!