Scotrail Push Pull Formations

I've managed to get together and make up a fair few Scotrail liveried
Mark 3s, about 6 of the all told, plus a Mk2 DBSO, as well as a Heljan
47/7.
Can anyone tell me if there was any set consist? The only thing I really
need to know is how many CKs were in the train, and where they were. As
I recall, the 47 was always at the Edinburgh end. On another note, did
the locos every carry snowploughs? I can't recall it, but I fitted them
anyway, if only because it improves the model and the body overhand and
front gap on the bogie isn't so obvious.
Reply to
James Christie
The way I remember it, the original MK III formation was DBSO - FO - SO - SO - SO -(SO?) - 47/7 The Loco was generally at the Glasgow End.
Then, in the late 80's the FO was converted to a CO and still located at beside the DBSO, although I can't remember which way round the First Class section was located. A SO was removed at that time from the formation.
When the sets went onto the ScotRail Express "Triangle" services, they occasionally became reversed.
The MK II sets were similar in formation, with the FO located beside the DBSO.
As
I think they did, but cant be 100% sure. And your correct, it does look better anyway.
Reply to
Not Here
Mk3 CK?
Was there ever such a thing?
I don't think any Mk3 had a side-corridor.
Reply to
Bob Wood
The original formation had 4SOs, plus an FO and a Mk2 DBSO. The original Mk2 push-pull sets (worked to'n'tail by two 27s, both powered) were BSO FK 4SO.
Peter
Reply to
Peter Masson
Can't comment too much on the 27's + Non-aircons, I was meaning the Mk II aircon sets formed latterly, to be honest. ISTR that the Mk II sets had a TSO(B) as well, with the buffet end positioned towards the FO.
There were oddities throughout the era, with a Glasgow - Aberdeen set having a Mk III sleeper as part of the formation, plus the occasional Full Brake.
Reply to
Not Here
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 13:18:51 GMT someone who may be "Not Here" wrote this:-
Edinburgh - Glasgow trains were highly standardised. However, Edinburgh/Glasgow - Aberdeen trains were more varied.
Reply to
David Hansen
"Bob Wood" wrote
Except sleepers, and the DTF on the Mk3-derived Wessies.
Peter
Reply to
Peter Masson
That's how I remember it too. The Aberdeen sets also included the 2 or 3 Mk II non air-con vehicles that were in Scotrail colours Mk III sets did venture to Aberdeen, but were mainly contained on the E&G.
Reply to
Not Here
One Mk3 CO (Composite Open), first class next to the DBSO, followed by 3 or sometimes 4 Mk3 TSO (Tourist Standard Open), then the loco.
Usual formation was DBSO at the Glasgow end (for both Edinburgh and Aberdeen services).
Sorry, but push-pull 47701-717 were never fitted with snowploughs.
HTH.
-- 156 Super Sprinter DMU
Dysgraphyk
In message , Not Here writes
The loco was normally at the Edinburgh end, AIUI, due to there being no loco wheelslip indication provided in the DBSO.
Reply to
Kenny
On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:46:26 +0100 someone who may be Kenny wrote this:-
I have no idea about that, though it sounds entirely feasible. The other thing is that the guard had to be at the rear at Queen Street, in case the train needed assistance from the rear on the little hill. Thus the guards van of the 2x27 sets was at the Glasgow end and it was the same with their replacements.
Reply to
David Hansen
I thought one of the 27's was 'dead?'
James H
Reply to
J Houston
In message , J Houston writes
No. They worked in multiple. The coaches were through wired with the Blue Star system. This actually meant any loco with blue star could work, and indeed 37s were used on some test trains. By the way guys, thanks to everyone for all the replies. Most helpful.
Reply to
James Christie
Could someone help me in defining periodwise a push pull class 27s period 1970 80 as thats the livery that I have on my 2 x class 27s
I also need the transalions in normal joe blogg english of the abbreviations use for the rolling stock. DBSO - FO - SO -
cheers
Reply to
delboy
Dear me, no. The coaching stock had to be modded to provide MU cabling down the length of the train. See for instance.
Sam
Reply to
Sam Wilson
On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 17:09:46 +0100 someone who may be "J Houston" wrote this:-
The coaches were fitted with air pipes and control cables to allow the two locomotives to be controlled from one cab. They were also fitted with disc brakes, because of the intensive use and regular descents down the Cowlairs Incline. The locomotives were ISTR modified so that the fire detection system for the rear locomotive indicated in the leading cab.
Reply to
David Hansen
"ETC" is an abbreviation for "etcetera", which means "and so on".
Does that help?
Cheers, Steve
Reply to
Steve W
DBSO - Driving Brake Standard Open SO - Standard Open FO - First Open
Reply to
Not Here
Indeed. I can clearly recall being pulled up the Cowlairs incline, rather than pushed. The set involved in the 1984 Falkirk crash was travelling DBSO-first towards Glasgow.
John
Reply to
John Walker
Wouldn't have thought so - the fire bell rings (or rather should do) in both locos via wire 22 which would be present without the need for any mods. No idea if the 27/1s and 27/2s had automatic fire extiguishers rather than the break glass and pull handle version.
-- D5233 Email address is valid
Reply to
D5233