Model Rail - Model of the Year Competition

What credibility can a 'Model of the Year' vote have which doesn't allow an unlimited choice of models released during the year in question? My first choice for new loco of 2006 would be a toss up between the Bachmann 108 dmu, the Heljan 26 or 27 diesel or the Heljan O-gauge class 47, but no option is provided to vote for any of these.

I've no doubt the argument will be put that these were all released too close to Christmas to be included, but wouldn't it have been better to delay the competition by a month to allow for all models released in 2006 to be included?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I've no doubt the argument will be put that these were all released too close to Christmas to be included, but wouldn't it have been better to delay the competition by a month to allow for all models released in 2006 to be included?

John.

There was a cut off date, mentioned previously, these were the short list from Dec 2005 to Dec 2006 - the details probably going to press before the locos arrived (Yes I know there is a review in the same mag, so I'm probably talking B*ll*cks!) So these may well come under 2007 models.....

I wouldn't class the Heljan 33 as one anyway.

I just wish they would get that dam 47 out !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" > wrote

Have you seen the latest 'Slim Jim' version of the 33? It's rather nice, but not a patch on the 26 & 27 which I think capture the atmosphere of the prototypes quote nicely.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote Have you seen the latest 'Slim Jim' version of the 33? It's rather nice, but not a patch on the 26 & 27 which I think capture the atmosphere of the prototypes quote nicely.

John.

Only in the mags so far, not been near any shops in Notts that actually stock Heljan!!!

I'm more partial (and very impressed apart from the black pipes and black lamp brackets) of the 33/1 as we have 33102 on our line, and much of what I do collect is what we have on the CVR or the type to have worked pre preservation days...

I may be in touch !!! (Next month !)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

Hmm, I think many of these "XYZ of the year" survays are suspect to start with, just because the readership of one magazine (or what ever) think one thing it doesn't mean that the majority is correct - the demographiocs of the readership could mean that one model is place higher than another, for example would a reader of the MRJ think the same way as a reader of MR?

Hmm, although the Bachman 108 is good I have to mark it down due to the roof, personally I would prefer an over-scale 'ribs' than non at all, considering the POV that most models are seen from.

But then the ignorant reader might think that they were voting on

2007 releases and not 2006, the December or January issues are the logical issues (any later as I said, it would start getting mixed up with news of the 'Toy Fairs'), although I don't think editors can't win what ever they do!
Reply to
Jerry