Well it's nearly time for the traditional mid-winter holiday ...

... although I'll be working all the wa through it and in to the New Year. :-(

And I was just wondering what folks had on thier Christmas lists model railway wise.

Speaking for myself ... A new airbrush ... from Mrs W And would you believe a vacuum cleaner from the ankle biters that I can use as a dust extractor (the hose is exactly the right diameter) when I'm using the various machines in the garage and to clean the layout.

And out from the bonus bung my work likes to give out at this time of the year I'm going to treat myself to a shed load of 009 guage track etc.

What's everyone else getting/wanting?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Some spare time :-)

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Reply to
Barbara Mitchell

"Chris Wilson" wrote

One of the soon to be released Heljan 7mm class 47 diesels is top of my list to Father Christmas.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Your in for a long wait then!.....

Reply to
Jerry

"Chris Wilson" wrote What's everyone else getting/wanting?

That Chris will discover DCC is good ! (Only Joking!)

Bachy 47 with Sound in good old Banger Blue !

But I'm with Jane- The planned Bachmann stuff would be nice....

January you say ? Yeah, which year ?

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

An Elite DCC system plus a decoder or two. Hurrah.

Simon

Reply to
simon

A Hornby Britannia would be nice, and as my present to myself an NCE Power Cab.

Reply to
John Nuttall

Is it worth pointing out that the rebuilt Merchant Navy marketed some years ago by Wrenn was actually a rebuilt West Country with Merchant Navy nameplates mounted on the boiler rather than on the footplate? There were subtle differences between the Merchant Navy class and the Battle of Britain/West Country classes - the latter being slightly smaller in some dimensions. Hope this does not dissuade you from your wishes, but would not like you to get the MN and show it off - only to be told that it's incorrect and isn't a Merchant Navy after all.

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

The original feast of St Nicholas ("Santa Claus") is actually the 6th December and still is where I come from. It was American retailers who moved it to Christmas to boost mid-winter sales and everything Americans do, the British have to follow suit.

Also, the real Santa Claus wears green not red and lives in Madrid not at the North Pole. That was another American corporate fabrication.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In message , kim writes

For more information on St Nicholas, bishop of Myra in Turkey, see

Jane Sullivan

Dunno were still hanging on to colour and can pronounce nuclear.

Simon

Reply to
simon

But we can now perform the impossible by filling out a form instead of filling it in.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin Wynne

Although some of the associated celebrations are held the 5th in other places.

Erm, surely saints' feast days are a matter for the Bishop of Rome and friends, not for retailers?

St Nicholas's feat and Christmas are not quite the same thing - Nicholas was not Christ(!). The Dec 25th events seem to be returning to their roots, losing the more recent baggage brought to the party by a Jewish splinter group.

He was very dead and inside a church in Bari when I went a few weeks ago.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

Yes, we call it "Sinterklaas Eve"

They moved the gift buying associated with the feast of St Nicholas to the period celebrating the birth of Christ.

Exactly, and Santa Claus has nothing to do with Christmas.

You are very much mistaken. He is alive and well and visited Amsterdam on

19th November. He will be resident there until the 6th December along with Black Peter. Here are the documents and photographs to prove it.
(kim)
Reply to
kim

In message , kim writes

This "eve" business is all to do with the day starting and ending at sundown, which it still does in the Jewish faith (it's why my Jewish co-workers have to get home before sundown on Fridays). So "Christmas eve" is really the evening of Christmas Day, which starts at sundown on

24 December, and ends at sundown on 25 December. Similarly with St Nicholas's day.

When I grew up we never talked about Santa Claus, always Father Christmas. Santa Claus was always an Americanism. (Maybe Groucho Marx was right: there ain't no Santa Claus!)

Couldn't agree more.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

The Coca-Cola Company has a lot to answer for.

Reply to
MartinS

But the Feast of Stephen is on December 26th...

Reply to
MartinS

And Wenceslas was only a duke, was murdered before the feast, and St Agnes' fountain hadn't been built.

There is no record of what type of pizza he preferred, and no surviving copy of any risk assessments carried out regarding the silly b****r's bedroom window.

Bah, humbug.

Reply to
Arthur Figgis