Favourite Diesel Livery

With the recent talks with Kim over liveries of stock, got me thinking - we often say that we think X loco is much better than Y loco, but what of the colours ? What are peoples fav diesel loco liveries ?

I would say mine is for loco hauled is the 2 tone green as seen on class

47's (with small warning panels). For DMU / HST sets I thought the original Midland Mainline was most colourful.

Banger Blue comes a close second for both the above !

What about you ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

In message , Andy Sollis CVMRD writes

green

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Well, ignoring colour placement, which can be, um, rather startling to for the old eyeballs, I like the following colour combinations (assuming the right shades and tones of course):

listed as main colour/stripe or accent colour/lettering colour

grey/maroon/yellow grey/dark blue/yellow black/red/white green/yellow/black silver/red/yellow/black (guess which railroad:-))

all-over black, blue, maroon, or dark green with white, yellow, or gold lettering

I don't mind the maroon/yellow scheme of EWS, but a black stripe here and there would really sharpen it up.

Great Northern Railway of the USA had a surprisingly attractive orange, deep green, and yellow livery.

I do not like any livery with mauve, purple, puce green, or brown. I don't like colours shaded into each other, either.

Which eliminates about 80% of the current train operating companies in the UK.

-- Wolf

"Don't believe everything you think." (Maxine)

Reply to
Wolf

Reply to
Model Depot

I have always thought Banger Blue looks good because of it's simplicity, but my favourite post privatisation livery is the RES livery. The worst by a mile has to be EWS.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

The RES livery used on locos and rolling stock looked very attractive. The recent blue Pullman set looks great apart from the MK1 kitchens.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Revised Standard on Class 50s... I don't know why, but that just feels like their 'jeans' livery - comfortable and instantly at home in it... All the others, like the various NSEs, and the standard blue, just don't seem right...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

I like 37's in there sector grey, makes them look like the hard working engines they were.

Reply to
estarriol

I tend to like anything that follows design features in the vehicle it is applied to. Anything that tries to mask or hide the seams and angles in the metalwork is off to a bad start - use them and make a feature of them. (Yes, this does mean that certain liveries only work on certain classes, and the application of some liveries may need to be different on some classes, but somehow some liveries still manage to look good on nearly everything...)

Definitely gotta be 'large logo blue'. 37s, 47s, 50s, 56s, etc, all look right at home in it (and the grey variant doesn't look bad either). Top marks to a 47 with the plated (but still recessed) headcode box painted black, and snowploughs - not 100% sure why, but I just like this configuration. OTOH, if it's got a flushplated headcode box (e.g. the various accident damage repair ones), then don't paint a black square on it - leave it yellow.

(I am also quite partial to some of the InterCity variants too - though not all the variations of this worked IMO, so the award is going to large logo).

For units, I'd say NSE - and the best ones IMO are the later 'from new' applications - e.g. 442s and 465s. Having said that, the original 158 livery is nice too.

James Moody

Reply to
James Moody

"Andy Sollis CVMRD" wrote

Any of the 'proper' railway liveries - BR green, blue (both original and large logo), InterCity Swallow, Railfreight (in a whole plethora of varieties), RES, Freightliner, EWS, DRS etc. If I had to pick one it would be BR green.

Hates - bus liveries transposed onto rails such as First 'Barbie' messes.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

For DMU/EMUs, I have to side with the purple of the WAGN units I see occasionally. Not sure what the class of the EMU is, but they don't half look 'cool' in the purple (as against the light grey/white - urrghhh!)

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

For period models, plain brunswick green.

For modern image, Freightliner green/yellow, Central Railways green/yellow.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"Wolf" wrote

grey/maroon/yellow grey/dark blue/yellow black/red/white green/yellow/black silver/red/yellow/black (guess which railroad:-))

Wolf

Ah, as it was a uk.rec.models.rail question, I was just thinking UK stock, but hey, each to their own, my fault as I didn't say...

So, Give us a clue, who is it then ? Canadian Pacific ?? (Black red white - or was that just steam ?)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis CVMRD

Any diesel with a large white cross in a circle and "COND" on the side suits me.

Reply to
jasper_goat

jasper snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.tiscali.co.uk:

LOL!

Although I do have to say that having sen it in the flesh all buffed up the special livery on 67005 Queens Messenger I found very attractive.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"Wolf" wrote

I'd go for a specific subset of that: Deltics as running in preservation, BR green with the lime green lower body stripe. The stripe just takes a bit out of the slabbiness of the panelling, and the yellow end seems to blend well.

The pre-63 version without yellow does look a bit more classic, though.

I also liked plain green as used on the WR D800 Warships but that's largely because the lines were so good, so a single dark colour brought up the cab curves well.

BR blue does seem to suit some diesels more than others; Class 50s, which ran in nowt else, apart from NSE stripes late in their careers, look ace in that great puddle of plain colour - possibly because their side grilles seem better proportioned than other models so blend in better. Just a personal view. Couldn't care about the colour, if only we actually had the reasonably competent service and affordable tickets of the BR blue era. Never thought I'd nostalge about Mk1s behind a 31 until it became solely a preservation thing. Maybe just confusing it with being young and thinking nobody would mess up something that actually seemed to work quite well.

Tony Clarke

Reply to
Tony Clarke

How about totally transparent ;-)