Heljan class 33

Hi

Have been waiting for these for some time but have just heard that one shop has sent back all his stock as a pin in the bogie float mech has failed!

Seems they were all the same.

Anyone else heard about this?

Which ones will be safe to buy?

Mike

Mike

I hadn't heard about it, but if true, it makes me glad I haven't bought any yet. It seems the rush by all the manufacturers to get locos out for Warley and Christmas seems to introduce many errors that shouldn't really get into production models. Hopefully Heljan will have solved any and all these by the time the 33/1 is released...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

On 17/12/2005 20:32, Mike said,

The ones without the defective pin :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

It's normally Bachmann who hash it up like this, if true. I have learnt not to buy the newly released Bachmann stuff. Think of the class 20 with its dodgy cabside windows, and the lack of ETH jumper on the original deltic.

Ian J. wrote:

Reply to
Robert Wilson

"Mike" wrote

I tested every one we sold and didn't notice the problem, but one customer found both of the ones I supplied to be damaged, but tells me he was able to effect a fairly easy repair. Needless to say the problem was immediately reported to Heljan, but I have to say I've not have a response.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

But the Deltic's didn't originally have ETH... :~P

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I think Robert meant Bachmann's original first release of their model, not the release of the real Deltics into BR traffic.

Graham Plowman

Reply to
gppsoftware

wrote

So maybe their model was intended to represent 'Nimbus' before it got fitted with ETH?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes but it had domino headcodes did'nt it, and was post ETH was'nt it? I'm happy to be proved wrong, I often am!

Reply to
Robert Wilson

"Robert Wilson" wrote

I think if truth be known if was just omitted from the original production model but then included on subsequent issues when people pointed out the omisssion.

Such upgrades in models has been commonplace throughout the history of model trains - my earliest model of 'Flying Scotsman' has a set of driving wheels missing in its 4-4-2 chassis, but Triang/Hornby managed to count the number required accurately in post-WW2 OO-scale models.

Didn't hear much whingeing from the Hornby O-gauge enthusiasts in pre-War Britain! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

was'nt it? I'm

production

driving wheels

Who must surely retire next year!

Seasons Greeting :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I got a responce from Heljan this moring!

We do not have problems with the Class 33s at all. All our retailers including customers are happy with the Class 33s. We daily receive e-mails from customers who are very satisfied with the products, which of course is very nice to hear. We had one shop who received their 5 locomotives damaged and we immediately repaired these - actually we send him new ones in stead and this is the only problem that we have had since November.

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" wrote

Lucky you, I'm still waiting. Maybe 'complaints' only count if they actually bother to read your email?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I was surprised, must have hit a raw never ;-)

Do you know anyone who can provide a face on photo of the heljan blue 33? I want to check it myself?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

The Reverend Awdrey?

Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Steve W

Oh I like that, very witty!

Rob.

Steve W wrote:

Reply to
Robert Wilson

"Mike" wrote

I got a reply late this afternoon suggesting that only one other retailer had had this problem. Hmmmm!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I suppose obviouisly they will defend their product. All in all its not bad provided its mechanically sound! and thats the big question for me. Do you still have some for sale John?

Mike

Reply to
Mike

"Mike" wrote in

Just got two blue ones available at the moment Mike.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Hello

I sent an e-mail to Hattons asking if they knew of this problem.

As you might expect they have sold loads.

Here is the reply that I find reassuring..

Thank you for your enquiry. We have sold a fair amount of these Heljan 33's and have only had one return, for a problem with the windows. We have not had any returns with bogie's, and have not heard of this problem.

Regards

Graeme Hogg

Hattons Model Railways

P.S. Ok John

Green and 33025 required here mail me off list please?

Reply to
Mike