source for motor brushes?

Hi all, Is it just around here (NE Massachusetts) that it seems that no place seems to sell replacement brushes for motors anymore? Used to be that every rinky-dink hardware store around at least a small assortment to look through. Now no place seems to.

I need brushes for a 3/4 HP 90V DC motor. It is a rectangular brush, the face that runs on the commutator is 0.312" X 0.625" and it has a shunt (the little copper wire & metal contact) and spring attached. I do not know what the length is supposed to be offhand, but it would not seem such a difficult thing to find. I tried the biggest old-tyme hardware store around here (goes way back to the mill fabric mill era, 7 HUGE creaking floors of stuff, some of which I'm sure has not been sold in 30 years, etc.), they don't carry them. I even tried the local motor service and rebuilder guy, good size shop, he rewinds motors for the place I work all the time. He does not stock them! WHAT?!?!

I found a few places on the web, but at least the ones I found were not the sort of places that would deal in 2 or 4 pc quantities.

Any of you guys have a secret source or a hot lead for me?

Thanks for any ideas.

AL A.

Reply to
Al A.

AL A.

I had the same problem. I called an electric motor repair shop and they referred me to the next door tool repair shop. I took the brushes and the motor in and walked out 5 minutes later with what I wanted. $4.80

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

Maybe this outfit---Midwest Fasteners

Around here they have a whole aisle of stuff at the local farm supply store. A little spendy, but when I need one or two of something it's usually there somewhere.

Reply to
BillM

How many treadmill motors does he want? I think Im down to 15 or so.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Is there a Sears Hardware near you? They have a small parts section near the nuts and bolts. Lots of interesting, hard to find things. They have a drawer or two of brushes with attached springs, I was just looking at them yesterday.

Reply to
DT