M & P Models Church Gresley near Swadlincote

I can top that, well an old friend can, he bought his son a trainset about 2 months *before* his *birth* day!...

Sounds like a real scrooge, but then again having been involved with both model and miniature railways I can understand why he might be like that if he has had bad experiences - I never snap at kids (especially young kids, even if they do seem to be old enough to know basic wrong from right one can never be sure if they don't suffer from any medical conditions [1]) but that is not to say that I have not made my feeling very clear to the parent(s), although never rudely.

[1] learnt that from having to deal with a couple of kids who suffered from ADHD
Reply to
:Jerry:

"simon" wrote

I'm not defending that retailers action, but I'd like to put the other side of the argument.

I've no problem with kids in my model shop providing they are properly supervised by their parents. Models are expensive and it's so easy for an unsupervised child to grab hold of something and break it in the process. I've never yet had a parent offer to pay for an item damaged in this way.

You'd be amazed at how many parents are offended if their child is asked to desist from touching, or even if they are asked to control their child. Many seem to think that every environment is a playground for their kids.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Yes indeed, most notably in supermarkets... What gets me is, you see whole families doing shopping, and it's quite obvious that the kids don't really want to be there, whilst it's quite legal to level the older teens 'Home Alone' (if the parents dare) the same is not true of younger kids - so why doesn't *one* parent go and do the weekly shop at Tesco or were ever and the other stay home with the kids, were the kids will be a lot happier, the parents will be less stressed and the rest of us will be less stressed!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Oh my, "level". Was that a typo or a Freudian slip... I bet many parents sometimes feel like 'levelling' their teenage kids sometimes!

Reply to
:Jerry:

At the time of his comment we were waiting to be served. We even let the person to one side push in cos I was happy to look at stuff behind the counter. His nibs was just being inquisative and asking the customer on the other side a few questions. I'm always careful that whoever hes talking to is 'safe' and happy to answer. Nearly always when tell his nibs to give them a rest they say no, no - its good that he asks all these questions.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Well he is an active child and i do my best. A couple of years ago, in one shop he did bend some minor toy. Not only did I insist on paying for it, I then disposed of it to give him a lesson on not grabbing things. we are still welcome at that shop.

I agree with you and accept that there can be reasons for retailers to be wary. But I was available for any complaints or hints, there was no justification for having a go at a 7 year old. As I said one of the other customers came over to us afterwards to say he wasnt going there again.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I don't think anyone was suggesting that you or your son was doing anything wrong, just that you might have suffered the back-lash from a less continuous parents lake of parenting skills IYSWIM - still no excuse for the shop owner to snap at a young child though - snap at the parent if you must but not the 'tots' because they might well not know better...

Reply to
:Jerry:

On Simon's changed discussion subject "Thought we should encourage children into the hobby" the simple answer to that is YES ! but .......

I fear the days of the 'traditional' model railway shop are almost over. Most of the new model shops I have come across sell 99.9% new kit and the independent shops are predominantly owned / run but men in at least the late Summer or Autumn of their life.

Many shop owners don't like the 'pick it up, look at it, put it down again' browsing shopper. Yes incorrect handling can damage stock, that's why I am pleased Hornby have introduced the 'Railroad' range of more robust models, but they should be able to judge the type of customer they have.

Children, understandably, treat even a =A3600+ model as a toy but responsible parents can still take them into these shops. Years ago these shops used to have active displays of the models to keep children amused while Mum & Dad have a look ... something sadly missing these days.

One exception I found was Toys 2 Go near Blackpool. they actively encourage children and whilst I and my sons Nan looked at the stock Mum and his nibs was given a demo of the shops small layout.

One shop we probably will never visit again is Trainlines of Derby. Not child friendly at all despite the fact we were talking about buying a DCC system ! His lost sale !

Sounds as if Jerry is already "Autism Friendly". I am pleased to say that despite (or because of) our sons condition most people at the model shows / shops we visit really take to him and make him feel very welcome.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

"simon" wrote

I wasn't having a go at you Simon.

There are some families who come into my shop who are absolutely brilliant. Kids are polite, ask if they can look at things and so on.

On the other hand there are some I'd be reluctant to let loose on the street of Bagdhad for fear of terrorising the terrorists.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Just as an observation, I've also noticed an inverse-square law between children and the shaprness of parental suit[1]. A lot of the really rough kids will yell and ball that they want a [insert model of choice], but don't touch - probably under pain of death ;-) - whereas the posher ones will grab and then demand. It's been very enlightening having a proper "shop" for the last 3 years after just having had a bare unit with no displays previousy, and completely opposite to expectations

Cheers Richard

[1] also applies to ordering parts and not turning up/changing mind,
Reply to
beamendsltd

"beamendsltd" wrote

That's maybe a realistic generalisation, but there are good & bad in both camps, however the 'my kid can do no wrong' liberals (note small 'l') are by far the worse.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

There was an intersting article about the behaviour of middle class kids on the BBC website a few years ago, which I think was spot on!

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

And the difference between a GBP600+ model and a toy is....? :-)

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

...and just how do middle class kids behave on the BBC web site a few years ago?! :~)

Reply to
:Jerry:

Sorry, didnt think either you or Jerry was at all - could see you were both talking generally and can also see that it might seem I misinterpreted.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I fear the days of the 'traditional' model railway shop are almost over. Most of the new model shops I have come across sell 99.9% new kit and the independent shops are predominantly owned / run but men in at least the late Summer or Autumn of their life.

Many shop owners don't like the 'pick it up, look at it, put it down again' browsing shopper. Yes incorrect handling can damage stock, that's why I am pleased Hornby have introduced the 'Railroad' range of more robust models, but they should be able to judge the type of customer they have.

Children, understandably, treat even a £600+ model as a toy but responsible parents can still take them into these shops. Years ago these shops used to have active displays of the models to keep children amused while Mum & Dad have a look ... something sadly missing these days.

One exception I found was Toys 2 Go near Blackpool. they actively encourage children and whilst I and my sons Nan looked at the stock Mum and his nibs was given a demo of the shops small layout.

One shop we probably will never visit again is Trainlines of Derby. Not child friendly at all despite the fact we were talking about buying a DCC system ! His lost sale !

Sounds as if Jerry is already "Autism Friendly". I am pleased to say that despite (or because of) our sons condition most people at the model shows / shops we visit really take to him and make him feel very welcome.

Chris

Been to Trainlines once. Just seems there are one or 2 people in shops that just dont have a sufficiently high enough social skill level to deal with the average shopper. They can be hard work and do make you wonder sometimes. However nowadays there are too many shoppers who think they should be treated as royalty.

My mother worked in shops for over 60 years - the last 20 in her own flower shop. She could send a customer scurrying out with their tail between their legs in seconds. But they bought a large bunch of expensive flowers and always came back for more. Sort of Arkwright without the apparrent fawning.

Weve met a few autistic children, they are special and parents deserve all the help they can get. His nibs appears to have a gift to make friends with them. Was on a train with an autistic teenager once who didnt like to be crowded, but by the time we got off he was helping his nibs down the steps. The father was amazed.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

GBP599+ ?

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

"...how DID middle class..." you mean? People in glass houses... :)

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Just answer the question... :~)