Anyone got a surplus 2" bore hydraulic ram?

Hi all,

Does anyone have an unwanted 2" bore hydraulic ram? Preferably as long as possible. It's okay if the seals leak, I just want the body.

Why? I want to use it to build a spud gun. Using a ram body seems like a good idea because you get a large diameter pipe with a connection to a small diameter hose, which is designed for high pressure.

Alternatively, does anyone know of a source of seamless 2" bore steel hydraulic tube and bite fittings?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

A small connection is the last thing you want on a spud gun. The 2" tube needs to be directly connected to a 2" quick acting valve. >

I have both the rams and the tubing but postage could be discouraging... >

Reply to
Tom

So I thought for a long time. But then I found pictures and videos of spud guns made using a supply line which is much smaller than the spud gun bore, and they work pretty well when connected to a high pressure supply (e.g., a carbon dioxide fire extinguisher or diving tank). It seems easier to get a source of gas at a very high pressure than to make a pressure vessel with a 2" bore valve.

Thanks for the offer. You're in NZ, right? That's a pity. If you were in the UK I'm sure we could figure something out.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Ah huh, Sorry, I wasn't thinking of that sort of pressure,

Tom

Reply to
Tom

There is a company about Hants that manufacture complete rams and parts.You could buy the cylinder tube and an end.Prices are good.They trade under two names,Steerforth and Ram Parts.They have a website. Mark.

Reply to
mark

How powerful a spud gun do you need?? These guys seem to be having fun just with plastic drainpipe...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Lift ram from a smallish scrap fork lift?

Regards

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

Meh, they're not pressure rated, combustion and made with small bore pipe.

The real power is in pneumatics like Chris's one. One I'm making has quad

4in chambers, and can fire a tennis ball a shade under Mach 1 (recoil should be interesting :-) )

Michael

Reply to
Michael

Just let me know when you plan test-firing it, so I can arrange to be on some other planet

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

--Sounds like serious overkill! Use good old PVC and wrap it with duct tape to catch shards if it detonates, heh. The only fuel that might make that happen is acetylene, but that would require that you be more than slightly nuts. OTOH it might be fun to try. Oh, and do yourself a favor and rig a remote detonator. I used a stun gun, alligator clips and an extension cord for mine. Make a spark gap inside the gun, using 1/8" stainless welding rod. It's a little dated but here's a link to my own humble efforts:

steamer

In article , steamer writes

I would suggest caution here; the Firearms Acts would certainly make such a device illegal in the UK.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

--Everything fun is illegal somewhere! I imagine that in the UK there's something similar to what we've got in the USA, i.e. military asking for small businesses to develop this or that technology for the next war; submit a proposal, then have at it under the umbrella of 'research', bwahaha.

Reply to
steamer

Oooer! I can feel a trip to B&Q coming on....

Richard

Reply to
Richard

That seems like a useful source. I'll give them a call in the morning.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Have you read the act itself and the amendments? It certainly is possible to build a combustion spud cannon which is within the law. AFAIR the barrel has to be more than 24" long and not rifled, and the projectile must not be stabilised either (no fins). Finally, you're not allowed to use black powder but pyrodex should be fine.

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

Yes, I have. I was about to give a detailed reply, but IANAL and I can't be sure I am up to date - but restrictions usually get worse, not easier.

Rest assured that the weapon described on the website referred to would be covered by the restrictions. Even smooth-bored weapons of the required minimum barrel length require a shotgun certificate in the UK. Other jurisdictions will vary, but this is a UK group.

Any sensible person would check it out first; firearms offences are absolute offences - that means you are breaking the law even if you didn't know your device fell into the illegal category.

David

Reply to
David Littlewood

Check this site all made from high pressure PVC .

Kevin(Bluey)