hydraulic chuck - polishing bore and ram

The 16" hydraulic chuck on my Mazak won't make full stroke. So I've spent eight hours removing and disassembling it. What a job!

Anyway, swarf had gotten between the ram and bore on the chuck and left faint gouge track marks. These two pieces are hardened and ground to a very tight fit. Press fit taking it off. You can easily see the tracks but it takes the edge of your fingernail to feel them.

How would you take these out? The bore is 6" diameter by 3" deep. I don't want to be at this forever. Anyway to chuck it up in the lathe and power polish?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I would hone the bore or find someone who does very important to maintain concentricity

does the ram use any type of seal between it and the bore?

too much clearance in this area can cause lot of different problems

Reply to
williamhenry

How about carefully running a flap wheel inside (evenly) until most of the scores polish out. I saw a Bridgeport technician do this once on a mill under warranty.

Bob Swinney "Karl Townsend" wrote in message news:IOJ%d.659$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Robert Swinney

Karl, there's only one "right" way to do this - hone it out, replate, hone it out .. very expensive, but that's the only correct way. Or live with it, of course. Cleaned up, it will last much longer.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

"Karl Townsend" wrote in news:IOJ%d.659$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

The clearance between the bore and the plunger and the concentricity of the bore to the jaws, determines the accuracy of your chuck. ANY excessive clearance between the bore and plunger will show up as concentricity variation in the clamped workpiece. You can hone off any high ridges, but you do not want to enlarge the bore any at all.

Reply to
Anthony

We did this not long ago and purchased a new housing, wasn't as expensive as we thought and turned out great.

Regards

Daveb

Reply to
DaveB