Grant Erwin-Die Files

Grant, did you ever find a source for good used machine files for your die filer? Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

Well, Dave Sobel never sent me a thing, and never cashed my check either. So after a year and a half of waiting I've given up. In the meantime, I purchased an air filer, this one:

and discovered that *it* comes with files. However, after filing the insides of the square holes on a cast iron swage block (the air filer worked real well) I decided I don't think much of these files. They *are* 1/4" machine files, though.

I haven't yet made my die filer from the MLA kit, either. I've gotten into blacksmithing lately and have slowed my machine shop development accordingly.

I'm pretty confident I can make good ones using Andy's method, though. I'll summarize it here:

  1. Find a file with parallel sides and the cross-section you want
  2. Score the file and break it off, leaving excess on the end which will go into the die filing machine
  3. Roughly grind away the "tang" until it will easily fit into a 1/4" hole
  4. Turn a piece round to a bit bigger than the OD your die filer needs, with a 1/4" axial bore
  5. Goop JB Weld into the bore and shove in the file and let it dry
  6. With packing, chuck up the file so the "tang" protrudes, and turn the OD to the size that will fit your die filer

In doing the above, make sure you pay attention to the way the file cuts. If you want it to cut on the pull stroke then you have to make it that way.

Grant

Marty Escarcega wrote:

Reply to
Grant Erwin

For small-size projects, I have found that low cost needle files work ok in my die filer. All die filers cut on the downstroke, so you must put a 1/4 inch round tang on the forward end of the needle file. I use any piece of

1/4 inch dia scrap with a drilled hole, fasten with silver solder done quickly so as not to draw temper from the working teeth. Dave
Reply to
David Anderson

Grant Erwin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Thanks for the info Grant! Marty