Looking for die filing machines and files

we are looking for some old cheap die filers y'all might have taken up space. Were also needen some 1/2 in wide 1/2 round files for our die filers.
Can't find anyone who makes these anymore
On 9 Jun 2004 14:56:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ken) wrote:

If cheap is what you are looking for check out Metal Lathe Accessories. Go to www.statecollegecentral.com/metallathe/MLA-18.html The casting kit is $95.00 I think. This is a good machine. I built one for use in my shop and I love it. It certainly is cheaper than buying one. Building it may end up costing more in labor than buying one but I doubt it. The kit comes with instructions on how to make the files out of regular files. It really is a good unit. It is quiet and smooth running. Of course, if the thing is built sloppily, you will get a bad machine. But any competent machinist would consider this a breeze to make. There is nothing complicated about it. If you do decide to go this route send me an e-mail and I'll tell you about a few mods I made to the plans to please me. Eric R Snow, E T Precision Machine
Hey Eric,
How about a pix or two of your die-filer to the drop-box, for posterity. And if not, then I'd like to get the same info. I haven't done one yet, but drool over the MLA stuff at every NAMES show. I hate filing by hand!!
Take care.
Brian Lawson, Bothwell, Ontario. XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
wrote: SNIP

I have posted the mods before on this group. Tell you what though, when you get the kit contact me and I'll go over the changes. I'll see about posting pictures. But only two changes are visible on the outside. All the others are internal. ERS
Hey Eric,
OK. Fair enough.
Brian XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
wrote:
SNIP

(ken) wrote:

There were 3 filing machines on ebay when I looked a couple minutes ago, current prices varied from cheap ($30) to expensive (>$200), condition also variable but all claimed to work. Hope this helps you, Eric
(ken) wrote:

If you do decide to go

My boss is planning on getting one althought the 7in dia for the top is a bit small. My brother had told me about this kit. He is looking for a used one at an auction for me but that might take years to find out here in rural Arkansas. Thanks Ken
On 11 Jun 2004 11:24:25 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ken) wrote:

There's no reason not to make a larger top. And steel or aluminum would work just fine. If you decide to make a larger top out of aluminum it would be advisable to have it hard anodized. ERS
Where y'all located?
I have a very good machine for sell ... First $100.00 takes it... Northeast Pennsylvania...
You can get files at http://www.fedfile.com/parallel.htm
Randy

Great source, Randal. How do "real" die filers hold onto all those different shapes? Each of those files has a different shank; e.g. a triangular file has a triangular shank, a square file has a square shank, etc.
Grant
Randal O'Brian wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:13:27 -0700, Grant Erwin

Grant-are you trying to say the filing machine from MLA is not a "real" filing machine? Because they are home made? Made to print these machines work great. And I have sold many parts that have been filed on my machine. Maybe I had better not tell my customers their parts were finished on a "fake" machine :). But then, I fake it a lot. ERS
Well, no, Eric, I'm not. But you have to admit they only hold shanks of exactly one size, and you further have to admit that machine files come with many sized shanks, ergo my question.
Grant
Eric R Snow wrote:

    I have to admit that the files in the posted web site *appear* to have varying shapes. However, the die-filer files which I purchased from someone at the Patina gathering this spring (and who was also at Cabin fever before that -- and who I saw there before I knew that I needed die filer files), all had round shanks, no matter what the shape of the file part happened to be. There were some with 1/8" shanks, and the ones which I got to fit my machine, with 1/4" shanks.
    I guess that I should have gotten some of the 1/8" shank ones as well, since it would be easy to make an alternate file holder for the machine.
    Another factor which is important for die filer files is that they should cut when the file is moving in the direction of the handle, rather than the far more common arrangement of cutting as the file is moving in the direction of the tip.
    I think that I would have to exchange some e-mail with the owners of that web site to clarify things before I bought any files for my die-filer from them.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

In my limited experience, the smaller machine files have consistent 1/4" round shanks no matter what the shape of the file. It's the larger files like 1/2" round and 1/2" square, where a 1/4" round shank just wouldn't cut it, that have shanks that are an exact continuation of the file profile, sans teeth.
I need to make some kind of bushing to securely hold the 1/4" shanks. Someday.
The handful of odd shape larger shanks, maybe they need bushings cut for each shape. They sure don't clamp easily in my little Keller.
Bob
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 20:24:33 -0700, Grant Erwin

OK, I thought you were insulting my machine *SNIFF*. But as long as you consider it to be a real one too then I guess everything is all right. Cheers, Eric
My All American has a small but heavily built C clamp type lower jaw. The fixed jaw of the clamp has a V groove in it; the movable jaw is flat. As you said, all my files' shanks are the same shape as the file itself, but I have never had a problem with file slippage.
Randy

Grant,
My die filer has V-notch on the blade holder, just like you see on some vise jaws. That allows it to hold round and triangular files of various sizes.
George
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (ken) wrote in message

I've got a "butterfly" die filer for sale. Nice condition. $150, Central MA