Clausing 5914 - Replacement of VS and Timing belts

I finally got around to installing the new Variable Speed (VS) and Timing belts I got some months ago. I figured it would be a long and messy process, and it was.

The VS belt was on its last legs, having already lost six or seven cogs, with most of the others about to go as well, judging by the cracks. All the missing cogs were contiguous, so there was a thump-thump-thump as the drive ran.

The timing belt wasn't too bad, but I decided to replace both belts at once, because most of the effort is in the removal and replacement of the countershaft and clutch assembly.

Taking the countershaft assembly out wasn't that hard, but was a bit awkward. Ditto reinstallation. It's really a two-man job, done by one man.

With countershaft assembly on the workbench, take bearing caps off and remove shaft et al from the countershaft frame.

At this point, discover a odd problem - The retaining ring that keeps one bearing on the shaft is not seated in the groove, instead staying in place by friction alone. Remove snap-ring and attempt to remove bearing. It moves a little, then stops. There is this red muck everywhere, the color of rust, but not gritty to the finger. Hmm.

Use bearing puller to remove the bearing. The very tip of the shaft, between the snapring groove and the end of the shaft, about 0.25" in length, is slightly oversize, although it looks perfect to the eye.

The toothed pulley, which is keyed to the shaft, slides freely axially, but won't go over the oversize part. It leads a trail of red muck when moved back and forth. Wipe muck up, time after time.

Clean up and use wet-dry sandpaper to polish the oversize down a bit. Hi-Spot Blue used to see the high spots. The shaft appears to be case hardened. Can almost get bearing on and off, but toothed pulley is recalcitrant. Repeat. Decide not to go any further. Probably, it was assembled from the other end, and seems to work just fine. If I do have to get this all apart, I'll polish the high spot a bit more aggressively with grit embedded in an aluminum tool bored to the correct diameter.

Used WD-40 to displace the water that caused the red muck, chased with Vactra #2. It really is rust, rust that has been ground between steel surfaces into a paint pigment. Nothing else was rusted. I bet that the water came from condensation, and everything else was too greasy to rust.

The reason that the snapring was not seated is now clear. The spacer (a machined thick steel tubular sleeve) between the toothed pulley and the bearing (SKF 6205) is 0.030" too long. This bearing is probably an aftermarket replacement, one that didn't quite fit.

Now the normal approach to the 0.030" problem would be to chuck the spacer up in the lathe, and trim that 0.030" right off. Except that the lathe's drivetrain is in pieces on the bench.

Revert yet again to 18th century methods. Clamp a 14" file to the bench. Holding the sleeve in both hands, file it shorter, rotating the sleeve an eighth of a turn between each cut. Clean swarf out of the file grooves with compressed air. Every so often, flatten both ends of sleeve with sandpaper on a granite flat. Took 20 or 30 minutes to get to the correct length. The sleeve looks like it was machined to length, not hand filed. Deburr sleeve and reassemble countershaft assembly, this time with the snapring properly seated in its groove.

Reassemble lathe. It runs much quieter now. No thump-thump-thump.

Washed hands in paint thinner to get the black gunk off, then with Borax to get the paint thinner off. Old car engines weren't this dirty.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Snip...

Coffee spew, been there, done that...

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Does this principle have a name? It's creepy how often the tool you are repairing would be most useful in repairing the tool you are repairing.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Murphy?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Murphy's Law of Recursive (Reflexive?) Tool Utility?

Reply to
John Husvar

It's called the "Yes, dear, I really NEED two of those machines" principle.

Or three, or a dozen, and a lineshaft to drive them in the old style, and a turbine in the basement to drive the lineshaft, and a mill over the basement to house them all, and a couple of warehouses for spare parts...

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Joe,

A year or so ago when I had to repair the snap ring that holds the hydrylic plunger to the bottom cone I was sure happy I still had my small import lathe. :-)

If I didn't recount it here, the whole outside edge that holds the ring is had disintigrated. In the end I woud up making a much thincker disk atthe end of the ram shaft, and drilled and tapped it IN PLACE with a drill fixture.

It's funny, but just yesterday I said "Gee the 5914 has been running fine now so I guess I can sell the import and get some shop space".

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

I must admit I did think that this is why one needs two lathes. And two mills. Vertical, and of course horizontal. And two ...

And a surface grinder.

Joe Gwinn

[snip]
Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Yes, yes, yes. We used to have such buildings available for a song, but now they are filled with biotech startups.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

NEVER sell your spare lathe

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Hell Gerry,

I coulda done what I did in the BridgePort... The spindle dosen't care if it's a tool or a work piece it's spinning...

No it's time to pass the import on to someone who can use it, 'cides I need the space.. And I have 2 friend 5 minutes away with lathes...

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August

Isn't that the definition of networking? Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Close...

Networking is my Buddy 100 miles away who has a BridgePort and a 5914...

We swap tooling and technique ALL the time.. :-))

--.- Dave

Reply to
Dave August