Clausing 5914 VariDrive Wobble

Well, I today took the bottom pulley assembly of the varidrive apart, the part that is attached to the motor shaft, and that wobbles badly. The wobble is not caused by the plastic bushing at all. It and the green coating are just fine. (The green coating did have a few score marks parallel to the shaft, probably from some grit that somehow got inside.)

I knew I was in trouble when I went to loosen the two 1/4-20 setscrews that fasten the varidrive pulley to the motor shaft, and found that both were already loose. And then I noticed that the square key was a bit cockeyed. Removing the pulley took considerable force, requiring a prybar against the motor housing. The keyslot on the motor shaft flares, becoming wider as one goes away from the motor housing, and the metal was mushed outward. The slot in the pulley doesn't look too bad, except for the busted-off corners.

The motor shaft does not appear to be bent, but I should verify this with a dial indicator.

I assume that the pulley was a push fit on the motor shaft, when it was young. Over the years, the setscrews loosened, and things drifted, unnoticed. (Or someone forgot to tighten them after a repair.) The whole assembly seems to have moved out about 1/2 or 3/4 inch, enough so the end of the varidrive assembly was hitting the lathe cover, and chewed a hole in it, so one could not properly install the cover. I wondered about that when I got the lathe.

I filed away the obvious bumps on the shaft and the bore, but the pulley still will not go on the shaft without far too much force. Tomorrow, I will fit pulley to shaft using blue highspot and a small file, slowly.

I suppose locktite may be needed as well, as the motor shaft and/or bore in the pulley is probably slightly tapered, and would fret in operation. Before I took it apart, the pulley was solidly albeit crookedly stuck to the shaft.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

Joe

Wish I would have seen this before I went to the shop today. I did find the spare plastic bushing, it's a red or maroon plastic and I'm guessing that it's the piece for the movable motor pulley half.

If the damage is to your fixed pulley half and not to the motor shaft I do have the complete motor pulley assembly (I haven't tried to remove the fixed half from the motor shaft as of yet). I also have the original motor but it probably needs new sleeve bearings, side to side play is undetectable but it probably has about 5 thou vertical play, as a guess. It's heavy and shipping would hurt.

I have most all the other drive and hydraulic parts available as well.

If it turns out you need these other parts we'll work something out. I need alittle something for them to help defray VFD conversion costs:)

I won't have a chance to get back over to the shop again until next Friday.

Regards Paul

Reply to
Paul

More of a brownish if it is current stock.

Fits either pulley after you bore it to fit.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

Well, thanks for finding it. I'm sure it will find a home, given how common this problem is, so the effort will not have been wasted.

The bushing in the lower pulley on my machine is brown. Perhaps someone before me replaced the bushing. And forgot to tighten the setscrews.

My understanding is that upper and lower pulleys take the same bushing. In my manual, only one part number (049-088) is given.

I wonder what the green coating is. Acetone makes it sticky, so it is not teflon. Nor does it feel like teflon.

It turns out that the damage is largely to the end of the motor shaft, with little damage to the pulley. As mentioned in another posting, after some hi-spotting and careful filing of high spots on the motor shaft (right near the keyway, which had become funneled and bulged), it went back together properly, and there is very little residual wobble.

Is there any way to oil the sleeve bearings in the motor? Or a need to?

That would be fair, although I don't yet know what I will need. Who knows what else I will find as I learn this machine, repairing things.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

My specimen definetly has a reddish hue to it. Can't say as to its vintage as it came with the machine, in a box of misc parts stashed in the cabinet under the tailstock end.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

No idea, there was no greenish stuff in evidence when I took that pulley apart.

Good for you.

Usually sleeve bearing equipped motors have some sort of lubrication means, oil cups or grease zerks. There's zerks on the old motor, it still coasts for some time when given a good spin by hand.

One thing to check is the balance spring under the speed adjuster, it's a flat clockspring in a housing. Mine was broken when I got the machine, I 'fixed' it which lasted for awhile until it let go again. The speed adjuster works without it but requires more force to adjust. I acquired a used one via ebay but hadn't got around to installing it when a good deal on a VFD came along.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Green loctite?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I've heard it referred to as teflon by others. I wish some one that is familiar with anti friction coatings could identify what this coating is.

The typical repair if this coating is bad is to coat with Moglice 1000 Semi and then turn back to size. Followed by machining the Delrin AF (I think) bushing to fit.

Wes

Reply to
Wes

I wouldn't think so, as locktite needs to be confined between metal surfaces to cure, while this stuff seems to have been applied as a paint. And acetone makes it sticky, which I don't think happens with cured locktite. Is locktite slippery? I don't recall that it is.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I forget when your machine was made. Mine was made in 1972. Perhaps the green coating was a later (or earlier) addition.

I suppose we could cheat -- call Clausing and ask.

I didn't find any obvious places to put oil or grease. Perhaps they used permanently lubricated ball bearings. The motor does turn freely, taking some time to coast to a stop.

The balance spring seems OK. I'm still bleeding the air out of the hydraulic system.

Joe

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I've got it written down somewhere, but 1967 comes to mind. Looking at the picture of the green coating someone else posted I can say if mine had that coating its long gone, there's no green in evidence. Either it never had it, or someone removed it in an earlier repair, or it now looks just like steel:) I would think if was just worn away there would be some remaining somewhere.

Paul

Reply to
Paul