Clausing 5914 - spindle bearing preload adjustment

From "Re: Continuing lathe chatter (from people now, not the lathe)" posted 4 June 2008 by Joe Gwinn:

This does seem to be happening, and rather quickly at that. It has become noticeably easier to turn the spindle by hand. I don't plan to do any adjusting just yet, instead waiting to see how much it will loosen by itself.
Joe Gwinn

    [ ... ]

    O.K. I wound up the second time over-tightening it, and then loosening it until it spun the proper amount.
    Good Luck,         DoN.

I will no doubt do much the same, as I learn how much is correct.
I now have a radial-pin spanner wrench that fits and is large enough, so precise adjustment should be easier. But not until it settles a bit more.
Joe Gwinn
    [ ... loose spindle bearings ... ]

    I did pretty well by feel on that the first try.

    Oh -- you didn't have the pin spanner before? You could turn a piece of stock bored large enough to slip over the ring and then drill it for a pin which you could slip in. Or you could press fit the pin, and then saw out about 270 degrees worth of the ring. :-)
    I was lucky to be able to pick up a proper pin spanner at one of the for-sale tables at the local metalworking club meetings.
    Enjoy,             DoN.

I did consider making a spanner, but decided to get an Armstrong wrench with swinging arm, that will handle a range of sizes.

I have a large collection of random pin spanners, but none fit well, and the ones that did fit were too small and weak.
Now that I bought a wrench, the perfect one will came along for $0.50.
Joe Gwinn

As a data point, I was playing with a way to drive my lathe to turn my sheave bushings and the moglice coated shafts.
I made this:
http://wess.freeshell.org/clausing/spindle_driver.jpg
My 14.4 volt cordless drill spun up the 10" chuck effortlessly, I doubt it could have handled turning or boring loads. The big surprise was when I turned off that drill. It has a brake, it works. Damn near took my wrist off. :(
It fits in the spindle bore, uses a rubber soft plug to grip, and the aluminum part was outside bored to size on my bridgeport.
Uncle's ancient 1/2" corded drill will be used to power the turning operation. It has no brake and will need a rope over the trusses to support it. ;) Uncle is getting old.
Sorry to hijack but it is a Clausing thread :)
Wes