Clothes line poles

Dumb Question (tm) regarding clothes like poles...

I thought it would be easy to find stuff to make a big "T" gor a clothes line, but...

local suppliers don't seem to carry anything but nipples and that up to

1-1/2" only.

Is that stiff enough for a clothes line pole with 3 or 4 lines?

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

I don't know. I'd look harder and go with

2 inch black iron pipes.
Reply to
Jim Stewart

Aye-Aye.

Reply to
cavelamb himself

cavelamb himself wrote in news:5eydnQyGLJzn8vTVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

The ones that are in my yard were made from 4" (possibly galvanized once but occasionally painted) pipe that each have a 1" dia. "staple" welded on to support each end of each of the clothelines.

They've been there - cemented - for 50 years and withstood a lot of weight over that time without any indication of "give".

Check with your local welding shop to see how much they'd want to make you a set.

Reply to
RAM³

I think Home Depot has 2" but you'd have to check. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

Instead of a " T " configuration, how about a upside down " U ". A long time ago my father made one in the U shape with a swing added for the kids.

Reply to
BJ

If you use guy wires, you can get away with much smaller tube diameter. Guy wires convert bending into tension.

Reply to
Ignoramus4323

They will also clothesline you.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Or a truss. Easier to mow around too. Steve

Reply to
Up North

That's a lot of hair, if you have to mow it.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

The clothes dryer is on a 30 amp breaker - call it 3kwh dumped into the house as extra heat.

The air conditioner has to remove that extra heat - so it runs a lot longer.

I'm going to guess I can drop the electric bill by at least 1/3 just by drying towels, sheets and jeans outside. And - stay cooler too.

So... Is there an East Side Dallas welder handy?

Material costs look like about $75 for a pair of T's.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

You don't vent your dryer outside? Plastic flex tubing is better than nothing. The TURKEY I bought this house from used a nylon over the vent into the basement to supplement the furnace in the winter and I'm still finding gobsof lint after 24 years!

Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Of course the dryer is vented outside. But a lot of waste heat doesn't go up the vent.

And with 100+ temperatures outside (typical warm Texas afternoon) a little extra heat inside is really noticeable.

Reply to
cavelamb himself

Well it is a clothesline. So wouldn't that be one of the design parameters? Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

cavelamb himself wrote in news:qsydneRBieUScffVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Roughly, where in Texas are you located?

Reply to
RAM³

Hi R^3

Just east of Dallas. Right between Plano and Mesquite.

Richard

Reply to
cavelamb himself

cavelamb himself wrote in news:hOidnbwbLJDfvfHVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That'd be a bit far to dig/pick up a pair of poles - about 275 miles each way - and the fuel cost would be quite a bit higher than finding a good weldor with an old joint of 4" pipe and a small amount of light plate to seal the ends.

I'm in Wharton, half-way between Houston and Victoria on US-59.

I'd still recommend the 4" since you (or somebody) just might want to suspend something heavy from one of the "arms".

BTDT.

FWIW, the clear plastic-coated aircraft cable makes a good, taught, clothesline when used with turnbuclkes and - when not in use for drying "stuff" - can also double nicely as a dog run.

Do make sure that the poles are spaced as far apart as you (or somebody) is willing to let them be since the greater the distance the more that the lines can hold.

BTW, good, taught, cable lines can also support tarps/plant fabric for a sunshade, too!

Reply to
RAM³

Ah well, thanks for the thought.

All the "T"s I've seen on the net are flimsy little things.

I'll check the local machine shops.

Thnx.

cavelamb himself

cavelamb himself wrote in news:69SdnTuTjJTOpvDVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

While you're at it, check the local pipe yards that cater to water well drillers - they use a lot of 4" casing and you might get a lead on 8' cutoffs.

Four of them would give you a pair of "T"s that, if concreted in, would probably outlast your house.

Reply to
RAM³

cavelamb himself wrote in news:1fmdnTv8ZqStfvPVnZ2dnUVZ_v snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

It's not the truck - it's the "Reformulated fuel" that the EPA mandated.

Gasohol cuts mileage significantly, thus raising the cost/mile significantly, thus reducing the amount of miles a person can afford to drive.

The situation will only get worse as more alky replaces more actual gasoline in the EPA's "Reformulated fuel".

Both of my gassers have shown steady drops in fuel economy for years while my diesel has shown a steady increase in fuel economy.

Reply to
RAM³