Clausing 5914 VariDrive Wobble - 1st update

After some careful hi-spotting and filing of the bunged-up end of the motor shaft, the pulley now slides onto the motor shaft properly, so I
put it all back together, this time with the setscrews tight. The wobble is now gone, so I lucked out -- things were not too badly chewed up, and no locktite will be required. Nor is the famous plastic bushing a problem.
Now, I'm trying to bleed the air out of the hydraulic system that communicated speed changes from the varispeed control on the top of the lathe to the adjustable pulley on the motor shaft. The instructions in the manual do not appear to be working.
Joe Gwinn
Joseph Gwinn wrote:

There is a Yahoo group for Clausing owners that has some pretty good information. This is a regular topic and there is a writeup in the files section on "advanced" bleeding methods.
Good Luck, Bob

I am in that group, but I didn't think to look for a writeup. Stands to reason that I'm not the first to have this struggle. Thanks.
Joe Gwinn
On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:55:21 -0500, Joseph Gwinn

With the spindle running..pull the speed wheel all the way to full, and hold it for 30 seconds. Then ease it off, wait a couple seconds, and repeat as necessary. Sometimes it may take as many as 5-10 tries. Be sure that you keep the reservior full
Gunner

I will try this.
I got it partially bled by wiring the control wheel to stay in the low-speed position and loosening the hydraulic fitting at the bottom, and allowing it to drip for an hour, topping off as needed. This is suggested in the Clausing manual.
Also had the effect of replacing all the old fluid, which seemed like a good idea too.
Joe Gwinn