Looking for etched metal specimens

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some etched specimens of common metals so that I can photograph them under a microscope. Most importantly cast iron and hot rolled mild steel. I'll pay a fair price for samples in good condition, or maybe swap them for something you're looking for. Anyone know where I might obtain some?

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Chris,

Have you tried asking at a local university that does Mech Eng or similar. We did polishing and etching of materials to examine the structure on my Mech Eng course, I would have thought others would be similar unless the powers that be have deemed it too dangerous playing with dilute acids these days.

Reply to
David Billington

Thanks for the suggestion. I've asked a friend of mine who's doing a PhD in materials science, but he said he's mostly on the theoretical side and rarely sees samples. A local university is a possibility I guess, but we're a bit short on them here in Shropshire. I wouldn't mind etching my own, but it's a bit hard to get hold of the concentrated nitric acid need to make the etching solution. I might try posting this on uk.rec.models.engineering and see if anyone has further ideas.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy