Ingersoll Rand T-10 compressor - any good?

It isn't. I would not buy a used compressor I couldn't see and hear running unless I personally knew and trusted the seller, and for $80 difference I'd definitely go with the new IR with a 1-yr warranty. I would also order the start up kit for $39.95 because you'll need oil and air filters anyway. I expect the compressor is shipped dry. That also gets you a 2-yr extended warranty.

Reply to
Don Foreman

i have this northern tool compressor, bought with the kit for the extra warrantee. it's a workhorse. notice it's a continuous duty compressor. i use it for sandblasting for hours at a time. check it before it comes off the truck though, as the first one i got had a smashed up regulator. the 2nd one was good though.

regards, charlie

charlie

Thanks - that's what I figured but it had the benefit of new condition and close proximity to make moving easier. Not seeing it run was a real deal killer, now that the excitement of the find is past. Delivery of new stuff by truck is always a problem here unless I want to waste a day off work waiting for the trucker to show up and probably another when they have to come back with the lift gate that was requested. That makes local pickup attractive, but not for used tools of unknown condition at retail prices.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

Iggy - I've been watching CL for a few months now and that's where this one showed up. Most of the ones I've seen there are horizontal, beat to heck or of unknown quality. I also check Ebay frequently in a 100-mile radius with pretty much the same results. CL has the advantage that it is usually easier to arrange an inspection in person but has the disadvantage that the good deals go quick.

That Speedaire at $52.50 looked like a bargain, but it's around 4 hours from me making it a bit of a pig in a poke since a pre-bid inspection is hard to do.

Keep me in mind if you pick up a nice vertical compressor in your scrounging that you want to unload.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Henry

OK. I also have a nice compressed air dryer.

Ignoramus22443

Forgot to add Mike, but I would also suggest looking for a "real 5 HP" compressor. It would improve your productivity working on certain tasks such as sanders or air hammers, on real projects.

Ignoramus22443

The 3HP IR he's looking at produces more air (11.3 acfm @ 90PSIG) than some "real 5HP" units do. Exceptions would be 2-stage units. Buying a used compressor (except perhaps a Quincy) is a bit of a crapshoot unless there is some way to know its history.

Reply to
Don Foreman

My 5 HP compressor makes about 14 CFM. It is single stage.

Your point on used compressors is quite right.

Ignoramus22443

That's nice. Where can Mr. Henry buy one like it next week, pray tell?

5 HP (with 15% friction) can theoretically deliver 25.6 ACFM at 90 PSIG in adiabatic single-stage compression. Pumps vary a lot in efficiency. More efficient pumps tend to be larger and more expensive. Example: IR pump model S-20 (single stage) delivers 19.5 ACFM @ 120 PSI with 5 HP. Figure about $1300 just for the 155-lb pump.

There are also "consumer models" that deliver less than 10 ACFM from 6 HP.

My point was to look at ACFM, not horsepower.

Reply to
Don Foreman

replying to Mike Henry, Larry wrote: I have a t 10 and it's an excellent work horse.

Reply to
Larry

I always heard that it's better to rent than own.

Reply to
mogulah