Ingersoll Rand Model B

I've seen lots of posts about air compressors on this ng so here goes. I've picked up an old Ingersoll Rand Model B air compressor. It is a twin cylinder with a GE repulsion-induction dual voltage 3/4 hp motor. I believe I'm going to be able to get the motor working. It was running (motor) but not well. Also pumping a little air. I took it apart and it was so full of crud that some of the brushes were barely contacting the commutator. Big problem is the compressor unit. It offers very little resistance when turning by hand so it may need an overhaul. I spent quite a bit of time on Google and can't seem to find any sites dealing with parts for old models. I can't even find it listed anywhere. Anyone know of any good places for parts for these thinks? Thanks.

Reply to
Dennis

You may not need part. Pull the heads and check the valves. They may be stuck open with crud or simply need lapping. Get a piece of plate glass, some fine lapping compound and be prepared to spend a bit of elbow grease. They are pretty solid old machines.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Don't assume there is a problem with the pump. Almost all good pumps have a centrifugal unloader so the motor doesn't have to start against pressure. The unloader bleeds off air until the motor is up to speed.

Reply to
Andy Asberry