Electric Motor Wiring

Hi I have an old Shopsmith Mk VII that all of a sudden wouldn't turn on. I tried replacing the capacitor (didn't help). I think it might be in the switch but no hope of replacing that. One piece so can't take apart. I've posted the diagram for the motor at members.aol.com/rford14999/SSS.jpg I can't read the diagram so don't know where to check next. It is a GE motor, relay and switch, none of which I can track down. The switch is 18 Amp 120-240

- 1-1/4 HP 120 -75W No. ASP 3134-01 and the motor is 5K037PG479. Shopsmith has no parts and no help. Help, please. Bob Ford

Reply to
RFord14999

Does the motor hum but the shaft won't turn???

Reply to
indago

Nothing. I jumped from the incoming line to the outgoing to the motor and the motor would turn slowly and make a growl. Pushing forward on the switch would run one direction and reverse the other. Only left it on for a few seconds as it wasn't a happy sound. Bob

Reply to
RFord14999

Try this page to get an understanding that may help you:

ehsjr

Sounds to me like your switch is bad or has a bad connection or broken wire going to it. Apparently, when you applied power directly to the motor you ended up applying line voltage on the run windings but not to the start winding (via the centrifugal switch). That's what caused the humming sound.

Perion

Reply to
Perion

Start Windings? Where did you come from?

Are you still using those 8-track tapes?

Reply to
Mike R.

Sounds like the centrifugal switch is bad. This is inside the motor housing.

Reply to
Tim

You have a problem with induction motors that have start windings? Why?

ARM

Reply to
Alan McClure