Electric Motor Wiring

Hi
I have an old Shopsmith Mk VII that all of a sudden wouldn't turn on. I tried
replacing the capacitor (didn't help). I think it might be in the switch but
no hope of replacing that. One piece so can't take apart. I've posted the
diagram for the motor at members.aol.com/rford14999/SSS.jpg
I can't read the diagram so don't know where to check next. It is a GE motor,
relay and switch, none of which I can track down. The switch is 18 Amp 120-240
- 1-1/4 HP 120 -75W No. ASP 3134-01 and the motor is 5K037PG479. Shopsmith has
no parts and no help. Help, please.
Bob Ford
Reply to
RFord14999
Nothing. I jumped from the incoming line to the outgoing to the motor and the motor would turn slowly and make a growl. Pushing forward on the switch would run one direction and reverse the other. Only left it on for a few seconds as it wasn't a happy sound. Bob
Reply to
RFord14999
Sounds to me like your switch is bad or has a bad connection or broken wire going to it. Apparently, when you applied power directly to the motor you ended up applying line voltage on the run windings but not to the start winding (via the centrifugal switch). That's what caused the humming sound.
Perion
Reply to
Perion

Site Timeline