hornby 31

hi all

quick note

just picked up a Hornby green class 31 from Pennine models good price give them a ring on 01535 642367 for more info he can do mail order,mention web/net you may get better price

Reply to
digby

so what was your Good price?

Reply to
piemanlarger

Has anyone posted any hi-rez pictures yet? All the ones I've seen have been fuzzy and failed to show the bits I'm interested in.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Not interested in green ones, ill wait for donny tomorrow and hopefully pickup a blue one.

Reply to
ViP

Large images of "Dutch" grey/yellow 31110 at

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

"John Lancaster" wrote

That explains what your wife said about you having a large one! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Eh? What the.....? :os

Cheers, John.

Reply to
John Lancaster

Thanks. They're the best pics so far. I see it has grab handles in the roof as well as what appears to be a child's inflatible paddling pool. Yes I know it's meant to be the surround for the air vent but I didn't think they were ever that big.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I'm told that the surround appears that way because BR accidentally put it on the outside when some 31s were overhauled and outshopped in 'Dutch'! :-S It should be hidden under the roof. An, err, interesting detail on the model then.

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Sounds like a very tail story to me. Most BRE workshops had several years of overhauling Bush 2's long before they became 31's in a silly colour scheme. Not to mention that if such cowling was meant to be pointing down inside the roof panelling then it must have done so for a reason and would have surely caused problems if the cowling wasn't present.

I strongly suspect that this is another fux up, makes one wonder what else might be wrong, still it's 1000 times better than the last time 'Hornby' attempted to model the Brush 2's....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"Rich Mackin" wrote

They were deisigned that way to assist with air flow over the fan.

Fitted from the early 80s to at least

31110/3/5/25/45-7/58/9/66/74/86/98/200/1/7/25/6/ 33/61/4/73/302/4/6/8/19/401/4-7/9/11/3-5/7/8/20/4/37/51/4-6/8/61-8

Information from Si Bendall in demod Message 40319 Monday 7/2/05.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It's a design mod to increase airflow out the roof. Install the fan shroud inside out. Same principle gophers use when they build tall mounds at the exit to their holes. The raised "hole" creates a low pressure suction on the side opposite the airflow across the hole that assists in pulling air from said hole. No doubt, the fan in the hole helps too, although I don't think the gophers figured that one out...

Here's a phot:

Peter

Reply to
Peter Swindon

Ah, thanks John and Peter :-$ My source will be suitably berated ;-)

Reply to
Rich Mackin

Just as long as it's not on the 1960's BR Green version!

Before the Class 50 was launched we were treated to loads of hi-rez images. So far we have had hardly any for the Class 31 which leads me to suspect Hornby is concealing something?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"digby" wrote

No you didn't, you picked up a class 30. They didn't become class 31s until re-engined if I recall correctly. Hornby's green model is of one in original condition.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They wouldn't have been either TOPS designation while they were in BR Green! The trainspotters in my class were reluctant to answer questions about diesel. "Brush Type-2 A1A-A1A" is a bit of a mouthful, maybe that's why? And you didn't ever want to ask them what a diesel with 16 wheels was called :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Yes they would, BR Green was still around in the first quarter of the

1970's, some complete with the BR 'Double Arrow' !... That besides, there was never a Class 30 as such, although there might have been provision made for it's use with the Brush type 2's, due to (AIUI) all the loco's having been re-engined before the class system came in to use.

What, a1Co-Co1, what's the problem with that ?... :~)

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"kim" wrote

They were allocated TOPS code 30, although I assume that was for the few that survived in original condition when the TOPS class codes were planned. I am also aware that none ever carried a 30 xxx number, but class 30 they were!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

They were all class 31's by the end of 1969. The original pilot scheme loco's being the last to be re-engined.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

"English Electric Type-4 1Co-Co1". It was easier for them just to say "dunno". It didn't help that diesel was regarded as "The Green Death" and no self respecting trainspotter or modeller wanted anything to do with them.

(kim)

Reply to
kim