Hornby class 110: second look

Hmmm. I'm increasingly drawn to the Hornby Class 110. Nicely detailed (by toy train standards, which is my level), and correct for my NE region branch line - also looks tough enough to stand operation by youngest son. Last time I asked the comments were generally favourable, the only concern I have is regarding the ringfield motor. I don't really know much about this; is this the same motor as in the tender-drive A3? If so, I would be happy with it - the slow running of the A3 is exceptionally good, and it runs extremely well ()and quietly with DCC. Other similarly configured motors (notably in some old Lima models) run like dogs at slow speeds. So, it's probably a stupid question, but how good is the motor in this model likely to be?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

And while we're on the subject...

"Hornby Class 110 DMU blue/grey boxed, unused

"3 car Class 110 in original box - purchased new some years ago but has only ever been test run. Box has become faded and worn, but train in as new condition."

So, an old version of the model. Probably with the older-style wheels, which are (IMO) less good than current ones; and if not, then certainly no better than the current model. The current model looks better than this one, though that might just be because I've seen it in green, which may flatter it.

Selling price £87.99.

So, is there anything about an older blue-and-white class 110 which would persuade you to pay £20 more for it than a brand new green one? I bet if you just wanted blue and white there'd be some old stock left somewhere, and anyway it's not *that* hard repainting, is it?

Or is this just another example of a fool and his money being easily parted?

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

I have the 110 train pack. I like it - good slow running performance, reasonable scale speed, quiet, and a generally nice model (IMO).

I use conventional dc, so cannot comment on DCC though. Have not got an A3, but compared to my other ringfield loco (which is old), the 110 is lovely.

Depending on where you are, you are welcome to come down and see mine in operation.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I remember around 1990 when the blue and blue+grey versions were current it was the first green (R687) release that fetched outrangous prices. £88 would have been a bit OTT, but not by much!

It remains IMHO by far the best RTR model of a heritage DMU, though the Bachmann 108 ought to change that very soon now...

David

Reply to
David Jackman

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 23:11:37 +0000, Ian Cornish said in :

Yes, it's the slow running that separates the men from the boys, as it were, isn't it?

Cool, thanks. I suspect this is a general trend, since my newer models with ringfields all seem better than older ones.

Thanks. Reading, me, which is probably too far from everywhere :-) However, I think I'll probably take a punt and splash out the 65 quid. It does look nice...

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote

I doubt there's stock left somehow. I reckon there's only been one production run of the blue/grey class 110 and that would be in the early

1980s (I'm guessing 1982).

In many ways the blue/grey version as produced back then is inferior to the current Chinese produced green version in a couple of ways:

a) the new model has a 5-pole motor and has means of collecting power from the track than the old version

b) the later models have improved glazing which eliminates much of the prismatic effect which was evident around the window edges of the early models.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Reply to
Rob Kemp

Just zis Guy, you know? said the following on 02/11/2005 22:50:

HOW MUCH???????

Personally, I wouldn't pay more than about £40 for a 3-car set - it's not as if they're rare or anything. This particular auction looks like people getting carried away. I do like it when my buyers do that (Two Lima 6-wheel tanks were bid up to £40 *each* ages ago!!!!)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Paul Boyd" wrote

The last blue/grey 110 dmu we had in our shop made £65 and was sold within an hour of going on sale. The smart ar#e that bought it said he'd have paid double that.

Let's get one thing right, the blue/grey sets if not exactly rare are certainly NOT easy to find. I'd say the green ones outnumber then ten or fifteen to one.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner said the following on 03/11/2005 09:34:

I guess anything is worth whatever an individual is prepared to pay! I bet he didn't tell you he would have paid double *before* the sale!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Paul Boyd" wrote

Of course not, and even if he had the dmu had a price label attached and I'd have stuck to the price.

It's easy to be scathing about the prices people are willing to pay on eBay, but it's a free world and they earn their cash and can do with it what they like.

I'd be more critical of the pricing policies of some of the manufacturers who are profiteering from cheap Chinese labour but charging high Western prices.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'm in Basingstoke. Not that far from Reading.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

I've got the R2073 version that's the same as the one in the auction and that was produced in 1998/99.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

On 03/11/2005 10:16, John Turner said,

I wasn't being scathing by any means - I was the one who sold the Lima tanks for £40 each. I think bemused might be a better description than scathing.

...and in case anyone reading this doesn't understand how eBay works, the buyers set the price, not the seller.

The Chinese are slowly starting to realise this, and prices are gradually rising in some sectors. In the electronics industry (industrial, not consumer) we are starting to see stuff move back at least to Europe, if not the UK. Problem with that is that Europe is supposed to be an even playing field, but Poland, for instance, charges out at half the UK minimum wage - we can't legally compete!

Reply to
Paul Boyd