Hornby (ex-Lima) Class 66?

Why the hell are people buying this when the far superior Bachmann version is available?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Because it's "Hornby".

Reply to
MartinS

That would have been my first thought but some of the people who are buying it are posters to MREx Mag and reasonably knowledgeable so must be aware of its drawbacks compared to the Bachmann release. It simply beggars belief.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Price?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Three reasons, probably:

  1. It's Hornby. Some people probably don't even know there's an alternative.

  1. It's cheaper. Some people care about price more than they care about quality. In fact, if it's being bought for "train set" use, then the cheaper but inferior product is probably a better choice as it's less of an issue if it gets slightly damaged.

  2. The Hornby and Bachmann versions have different liveries. If you want a particular livery, you have to buy the brand that offers it.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

Mark Goodge said the following on 19/07/2007 07:53:

Or re-livery it yourself?

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Perhaps the Hornby one is less detailed/more robust, it might be easier to get spares and it might be better round tight settrack curves?

I often buy older models for these reasons, rather than the latest super detailed versions. If you want to customise a model, it's also less traumatising and easier to work on an older less detailed model too :)

Reply to
Gerald H

Well, yes. But most buyers won't do that.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Goodge

The same reason they buy the Class 37, 47, Hymek, Mk 1 carriages etc.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Yes but then why buy a completely new one when there are plenty of old, cheaper examples knocking around?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

In the case of the Mk1 and Class 66, once a typical dealer's discount is taken into consideration, it's not much cheaper than the Bachmann alternative.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I know. Hattons sell Hornby Hymeks for £49 and Heljan ones for £52, but some people must be buying the Hornby version!

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

"Fred X" wrote

I can't think why, even though the Heljan loco will probably draw too much current for the average Hornby trainset controller. Some people are just too easily satisfied.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

There's no accounting for taste, or lack thereof.

Reply to
MartinS

In the August / September issue of 'Hornby Magazine' their editor, Mike Wild, has for his editorial an article called "The price is right'.

Within his article he basically says 'you get what you pay for' and for the most part I agree with the points raised but I would also add 'you pay for what you need / want'.

How many children can afford to buy, for example, a weathered Bachmann 9F @ =A3125 with just their pocket money ? We apparently do better than our European counterparts a Mike quotes prices of =A3280 for a German Railways '050' 2-10-0 from Fleisechmann or =A3210 for a Chinese Railways 'QJ' 2-10-2 !

Many of you will got even give Hornby's new 'Railroad' range a second ( or even a first ) glance but I think they are just what the 'hobby' needs. To many ( or I should say majority ) its not a hobby but a child's plaything and has to compete with the latest PC or Playstation game.

The Hornby / Lima models are nothing more than what Skoda used to do ... take second hand body designs from manufacturers like Fiat and build them at a greatly reduced price.

I say bring back 'pocket money' model railroading, without it the 'hobby' will literally die !

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Agreed.

Reply to
Wolf

Well, the thing is, as has already been pointed out, some of the Limby products are not significantly cheaper than the much better quality Bachmann alternatives. I agree if Hornby can get an old style Flying Scotsman on the dealer's shelves for 40 odd quid then your point is valid, but not for the likes of the Class 66.

P.S. I quite liked my wife's old Skoda Estelle, far nicer than the Metro it replaced, apart from it's habit of lift off oversteer anyway.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Seconded - each unto their own and all that. It the fact that they are buying at all that really matters.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

How many children can afford to buy, for example, a weathered Bachmann 9F @ £125 with just their pocket money ? We apparently do better than our European counterparts a Mike quotes prices of £280 for a German Railways '050' 2-10-0 from Fleisechmann or £210 for a Chinese Railways 'QJ' 2-10-2 !

Many of you will got even give Hornby's new 'Railroad' range a second ( or even a first ) glance but I think they are just what the 'hobby' needs. To many ( or I should say majority ) its not a hobby but a child's plaything and has to compete with the latest PC or Playstation game.

The Hornby / Lima models are nothing more than what Skoda used to do ... take second hand body designs from manufacturers like Fiat and build them at a greatly reduced price.

I say bring back 'pocket money' model railroading, without it the 'hobby' will literally die !

Chris

Not true, those same children who cannot afford the bachman 9f re likely to have a £400 ps3 and several £40 - £50 games to play on it with more to come.

The problem with Railways in my humble opinion is not the price or the detail but the space it needs, especially in these days of Barrett shoeboxes.

Reply to
estarriol

My problem with this is simple, to get Bachman means central london or online purchasing, but Uxbridge has 2 places you can buy Hornby off the shelf (admittedly limited ranges, but nevertheless they are sold).

Reply to
estarriol