Ex-Lima models from Hornby

The first of the ex-Lima models are starting to filter through from Hornby. Yesterday we unpacked some bogie PDA twin depressed centre cement tankers, and today we've found CCTs in spurious liveries for the Thomas the Tank Engine range,

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

I should add that apart from Hornby metal wheels (3-hole disc) being fitted instead of the traditional Lima cheesecutters, there appears to have been NO modification whatsoever to the CCT.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

So IIRC the wheels are significantly too small, but if you fit wheels the right size in, the thing stands too high, due to stretched axleguards. ho hum. Still, better to have the 'raw material' available new rather than paying daft eBay prices for old Lima ones I suppose.

Reply to
airsmoothed

I'm beginning to think the only reason Hornby bought Lima was to stop anyone else from buying it and producing models in competition with their own.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

The main reason Hornby bought the Lima Group was to enter the European, American and Australian markets with the Arnold, Jouef, Lima, Pocher and Rivarossi brands. The fact that Lima had also made British outline models, of which several duplicated existing Hornby products, was an incidental benefit.

Since taking over the Lima Group, Hornby has also taken over the French model distribution company MKD, (re-naming it Hornby France) and last month took over Heico Modell (re-naming it Hornby Deutschland). Previously they had taken over Electrotren of Spain.

Their strategy is to establish a global model railway and slot racing business, as it is felt that there is more scope outside the UK than within.

Lots more detail (if you need it) at

and
Regards,

Dave W

Reply to
David Westerman

Don't tell me - they re-named it Hornby España.

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" wrote

Nope, it still appears to be trading as Electrotren.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"David Westerman" wrote Their strategy is to establish a global model railway and slot racing business, as it is felt that there is more scope outside the UK than within.

Dave, The only thing I worry is about "All the eggs in the same basket". I know we have Bachmann and some cottage industries (But that is enought about Dapol) but what happens if it all goes to pot ? Who would be big enough to buy Hornby out if it went T*ts up ?

I Wonder.......

Reply to
Andy Sollis

"Andy Sollis" wrote

It would be split up I'd have thought, with different organisations cherry-picking the bits that appealed.

Bachmann are owned by one of the wealthiest individuals in Hong Kong, so I'd have thought they were pretty safe.

I think we're in a serious risk situation to be honest with so much of the hobby's production concentrated in China.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Salvé Surely this is only a risk if that moron Bush decides to attack N.Korea. China can no longer afford to bugger the west about with its economy now rising like a rocket .....(!!) Beowulf

Reply to
BEOWULF

"BEOWULF" wrote

Apart from that there is the risk of the Chinese manufacturing market overheating and causing serious inflation. We've already seen China's demand for raw materials & fuel pushing up costs on the commodity market. It's not impossible that they could fairly rapidly price themselves out of the market.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

China can't afford Bush/the USa having military bases right on it's border.

I once thought it was a serious risk having all MR production based in Britain! During WWII NZers discovered we could set up cottage industries to replace the lost supply of Hornby trains and the Swiss set up several firms to replace the loss of Maerklin products (HAG for example)

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg.P.