D6990/37411 "Caerphilly Castle"/"Castell Caerffili"...

Is somebody at Barwell incredibly drunk. ViTrains has only just done a limited edition of this and now Bachmann has announced it as their "exclusive" new club model. Is there any reason why I should want the Bachmann model as opposed to the ViTrains version?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Bachmann have previous history of announcing the same item as other providers, often very shortly after the other company announces. It could be coincidence, or it could be deliberate "spoiling" and attempting to reduce profits at competitors.

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

Just as Corgi brought out diecast versions of the low-priced CMC kits of the Bristol FS and Leyland/East Lancs.

CMC did a better job of the FS, IMHO.

Reply to
MartinS

I bought the ViTrains 37411 last year, and I can't say I'm disappointed with it at all. Some parts are a little plasticy, but nothing a bit of work with some modelling tools and paint won't fix.

I was quite amazed at how much fine detailing there was for the price it was at. It runs very smoothly too, and pulls quite a lot of carriages - I only have about 10 here at the moment, but it has no trouble pulling those.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Thanks Andy. You know even if the Bachmann was marginally superior in some respects this would still strike me as a pointless duplication.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I agree, at least make something different, or even a different version of the same loco. However, I fail to see how much better a RTR could be really, you'd only improve it significantly by doing your own super-detailing work. It uses exactly the same spec. motor and drive gear as the rest of the type 37 models done by Bachmann and Hornby.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

On 08/08/2008 03:20, kim said,

Is there something special about this loco - the prototype? That's a genuine question because it would be about 50 years later than I normally model!

I happen to have a spare ViTrains boxed bodyshell if anyone's interested

- I only bought it to butcher the chassis :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"kim" wrote

Well as a direct comparison I cannot understand why anyone would prefer the ViTrains class 37 model to the Bachmann version. In my humble opinion the latter is far superior in every respect and there's little to choose between the two on price.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It's just another retro livery job, painted in BR Green with late crest.

The unsold numbers of such "special collectors editions" are now piling up in the club magazine. Since ViTrains have already sold a thousand examples of this particular livery I can't see Bachmann shifting an extra 504 of them. Maybe if it had built-in sound or some other totally unique feature?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

So would you expect there to be an enormous clamour for the Bachmann version now that it's available John?

(kim)

Reply to
kim

It is a nice number, I'll have that one as well ! Quick scan, edit and print ....

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon