Help with lincoln welders

Hello all.

I am looking at purchasing a welder and need some help here.

I went to Lowes, they have a Lincoln Pro-Mig 140 for $438. I then went to Home Depot and they have a Lincoln Weld-Pak 3200HD for $459.

So I came home so I can look them up and compare the two welders. I can't find anything on the Pro-Mig 140. The lincoln site doesn't list it.

Does anyone know the difference? Which one is a better one? The 3200 is 90/1/60. What is the 140?

Thanks Bob

Reply to
txasylum

They're probably the same welder. Lincoln rebadges their lower-end models for different companies to sell. Plus the different companies up their ratings occasionally to make their welders look better even though nothing has changed.

For example, I have an older Lincoln SP-170T which is a great welder BTW. The current version of this is the SP-175T and I've actually checked the parts listing and found all of the important components and IIRC everything except for the stickers and labels to be the same for both models. They just upped it to 175 to make it look better. Hobart did the same thing with theirs. They recently upped their Hobart Handler 135 to the Handler 140 so Lincoln was bound to follow eventually.

They also have sold my welder as the MIG-Pak 15, the Weld-Pak 155 (the same welder minus the gas solenoid and regulator), the Weld-Pak 5000HD from Home Depot and the Pro-MIG 175 from Lowes.

The ones you're looking at have been sold as the SP-125T, SP-135T, Pro-MIG

135, 3200HD and probably a couple of others I'm not aware of.

I'm not sure what the 90/1/60 numbers are you referred to but a link to the owner's manual and parts listing for the new 140 is available here for comparison:

One of the reasons, probably the biggest reason Lowes and Home Depot have different models is so they don't have to match prices. They both have price matching policies but it has to be the exact same model, etc. This way they bypass it.

BTW, you didn't say anything about how you plan to use it. You may be an experienced welder that knows exactly what you want so feel free to ignore me. But if you're not please ask for advice here because the welders you're looking at are good but they're limited so you might want to check into what you can and can't do with them a bit more before buying.

For example, if you're assuming you'll be able to weld aluminum you can pretty much forget it. They say it can be done but not realistically.

If you can swing it and the portability of a 110V welder isn't too much of an issue you'll probably be much happier in the long run if you go with a version of the 175 amp machine instead. I've had both so I speak from experience. :-)

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Keith,

Thanks for the reply. What you say makes sense.

What I am going to use it for is minor repairs around the house. I have rebuilt several older VWs, and many of them need minor welds. I don't plan on building a trailor or doing any construction, just a welder to have for home use. I did consider 220v, but decided against because of the cost and the limited portability.

Thanks Bob

Reply to
txasylum

The 90/1/60 breaks out as follows:

90 amps 1 phase (single phase) 60 cycle (as >Hello all.
Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Does anyone know anything about a Clark? I came across a Clarke 180EN. Price is right.

Reply to
txasylum