Class 66

im after a freightliner 66, is it worth buying a lima one off ebay at a hugely inflated price or waiting for the heljan one?, when is it coming out and will it be better than the lima one?, and why dont hornby make one in anything other than EWS livery!?

Reply to
andy

You'd be very daft or desperate to get a Lima one now, unless you can get it for less than £20 or so it really isn't worth it. The problem will be getting hold of spare parts in the future, no Lima means no spares. Perhaps Hornby ringfield brushes would fit but then again perhaps not.

There is no doubt that the Heljan version will be much much better quality than Lima. It will undoubtedly be like their other locos, all wheel drive and pickups, vastly superior body moulding and DCC socket ready. Look around the web and compare the Heljan Hymek and 47 with the Hornby versions of these models (and Lima in the case of the 47).

As for your Hornby comment, do you mean another class as they don't make a

66?
Reply to
DJO

thanks for that, most of the lima ones on ebay seem to go for around £60 -£70 !,

any idea when the heljan one is coming out?

I must have been thinking of the lima EWS 66's, but very suprised that Hornby dont make one, after all they are the most numerous locos on the railway these days and to model a modern image layout you really do need one or two, lima must have had a field day with no competition!?

Reply to
andy

"andy" wrote

Early in 2004 ................. allegedly! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The class 47 does NOT have all wheel drive! The body is overwidth. Will they do better with their next Co-Co? Probably on the body dubious on the drive unless they decide to keep up with Hornby. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

You live and learn! I only havea Hymek myself and assumed the same went for the 47.

Reply to
DJO

Mid 2004 now :-( is what Kim told me at Warley.

Nick

Nick Gurney

The quality of Heljan should produce a good class 66.......

If you're only concerned about the spares then Tech-Cad (Scotland) soon intend to produce better motor/drive systems for the 6-wheeled ex-Lima models......*priority* will then be given to the 4-wheeled ex-Lima models........

Colin Meredith.

Reply to
Colin

Haven't Bcahmann also got a 66 planned ? Thought it was another one of those duplication issues, as with the 57.

I'm quite possibly wrong, but I thought that was on the cards.

Happy New Year to all, by the way, just in case I don't get back on here before 31 December.

Cheers, Ian

Reply to
Ian Bartlett

Thoroughly agree Andy - crossed my mind that Bachmann wouldn't exactly have it ready by 2004!

Cheers and happy new year to all.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bartlett