Lima products

So what can you learned people tell me about Lima's British outline products. Are they as good as Hornby, Bachmann? Are they still in production? I am favorable impressed with my new Hornby and Bachmann locos, and have see one or two Lima products on Ebay. Would I be wasting my money?

scoot

Reply to
scoot

Yes, you would. They were cheap, very basic and had awful motors.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

Would I be wasting my money?

Mostly yes, there are better products available new for not much more money.

Note though some new Hornby models are the ex-Lima range with new motors/transmissions are are much better than the original Lima's.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

On 23/12/2007 01:39, scoot said,

In a word, yes. They never were the best models, although they were relatively cheap, so you were getting what you paid for. Same goes for what you see on eBay - if you see a Lima model you like, don't go silly on the money. The days of silly money Lima on eBay have long gone.

Lima is no longer in production, and Hornby have bought the tooling. A lot of Lima stuff is being reissued by Hornby with various improvements, such as better motors.

Some of the ex-Lima staff have spun off their own company, Vi-Trains. From what I've seen, these look pretty good.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Paul Boyd" wrote

They're certainly an improvement on the old Lima models, but they still have a Lima-esque look about them, and the old philosophy of flooding the market with new liveries ever month or so, seem to have guaranteed that retailers will have to heavily discount these to ensure sales.

John.

Reply to
John Turner