Westerns Hornby/Lima?

Notwithstanding the usual comments about Lima stock I'm looking to buy one or two Class 52s/Westerns.

Lima versions are still available new and second hand, Hornby also have them in current production but I believe that it is an old model and not as "cutting edge" as the newer models.

Whatever I buy will be very well hacked about and re-painted to satisfy a particular flight of fancy so the factory finish with regards to paintwork and even detailing is truly unimportant.

With all that in mind, which of the two runs the best and has bodywork dimensions closest to the real thing?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Plus points that one has over the other:

Hornby; More body detail (raised name and number plates, front grab handle etc) Vent detail more pronounced Dual pick-ups from non-drive bogie (single on the Lima) Smoother running Probably the better of the two for body mods (plastic seems thicker) Front scuttle panel under screen of better proportions than the Lima

Lima; No unsightly front lower body turning with the bogie Windows have raised frames Doesn't require extra lead to prevent wheelspin :-)

Hope that helps.

Governor of Waldovia

Governor of Waldovia

"Governor of Waldovia" realised his mistake in news:v461b.621$ snipped-for-privacy@news-text.cableinet.net...

The Lima URL above is the correct one. Sorry about that.

Governor of Waldovia

Governor of Waldovia

It does, thanks. The only fly in the ointment appears to be the lower body at the ends of the Hornby offering turning with the bogie.

As an aside re John's point, I've found that a really sharp chisel pushed flat against body work will get rid of most unwanted raised detail, finish off with a bit of wet and dry and the job's a good 'un - I've got a piece of very flat steel about 1 1/2" x 1" that I use as a rubbing block.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

That sounds like an excellent idea - shades of 50007 come to mind. I once did a (shortened) HST set in GWR coaching stock livery, and I have to say it looked good, even if I say so myself! It is now in the process of reverting to blue/grey. The process started before Hornby announced their new model...

When you finish, some pictures posted somewhere would be good, if you can.

You may also not be aware that Brassmasters do a very good detailing kit for the Lima Western, designed in conjunction with one of the great "names", Alan Sibley. Notwithstanding other comments on this thread, I personally believe that the Lima version gives a better basis for this sort of hackery than the Hornby model. As I am building my own chassis (when Ultrascale deliver my order), I won't pass comment on Hornby/Lima motor bogies...shove in a big can motor!

You do know what will happen now, of course? Heljan or Bachmann will announce the forthcoming Western model...

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Also, the Lima version has an oil-type tail lamp moulded into one of the ends; OK if modelling a loco running light engine, I guess, otherwise, it's out with that scalpel.... The Hornby model also has metal handrails, and correct name/number combinations. Apparently early Lima ones had some problems with the latter, due to a mix-up when printing the bodies!

Agreed - never owned one myself, but this is the most off-putting thing about the Hornby offering. Older Hornby Westerns also had *very* shiny nickel-plated wheels; easily cured with a spot of Humbrol, though more recent ones have nice chemically blackened jobs.

David E. Belcher

Reply to
David E. Belcher

The newer body mouldings have already done this for you! They haven't put back the missing lamp bracket though.... I bought a couple of brand new bodies from Silver Fox a while back, for a tenner each, and neither had the oil lamp.

Paul Boyd

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Thanks to everyone for your comments, sorry I haven't replied earlier but 8 consecutive days at work (with 2 more to go!) have somewhat impinged into my time on computer.

By all accounts the Hornby one sounds like the better runner - initially my main concern but that lower body swinging around with the bogie is a real off-putter (is that a word? - ed) so I've plumped for the Lima version.

As I pointed out though the whole idea is to satisfy a flight of fancy so minor body details aren't a problem, no doubt I'll add my own and at Paul's suggestion I've taken a peek at the Brassmasters site so I see another purchase coming on.

So all things considered I've plumped for the Lima version and the newest addition to my loco fleet can be seen here

all-wheel pick-up shouldn't be to much of a problem - even for me. Before I butcher this lovely(!) sand coloured offering I take it that it's not a collectors item or anything silly like that?

Once butchered and repainted into authentic 1953 GWR express passenger livery I'll post some pics.

Reply to
Chris Wilson