Hornby-Triang-Lima-Triang

I'm discovering the wonderful world of ebay & have seen a Hornby Brit & Evening Star 9F described as Triang-Lima-Triang. It's bad enough I have to learn all about the prototypes :-) but do I now have to learn all about the manufacturers? Please guys, a potted history with, if possible, a best, better, type guide. I know it's a broad question again but I've obviously got a lot to learn in a short time.

Norman

Reply to
Norman

Triang absorbed Hornby decades ago.

The new company was known as Triang Hornby for a while and then they dropped the Triang part.

You're talking about technology that has been out of date for years. It looks awful against the more accurate, up-to-date stuff. The wheels standards were different as well.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

For the best part, Lima has nothing to do with Triang or Hornby. Some sellers will try to fool you by putting certain key words into the descriptions. Thus, if they are selling, say, a Lime item, including the word "Triang" may encourage Triang collectors to look, too.

PhilD

Reply to
PhilD

PhilD said the following on 02/02/2006 08:13:

Known as keyword spamming, and reportable to eBay if you feel so inclined ;-)

As to the original post, for a beginner it is best to stay away from Triang & Hornby-Dublo (if the prices don't deter you anyway!). Personally, I would avoid Lima as well, because whilst it can run well, it can also run very badly, and you can't try it out first. The old wheels can be a problem as well. This gives you one more unknown, and as a beginner you have enough unknowns as it is!

If you can stick with Bachmann, or more modern Hornby, you should be OK.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Basically, you are right apart from the fact that Hornby now owns Lima. But since there are no ex Lima products on the market sold by Hornby yet, it is not an issue. How many attempts will there be in the future to sell old Lima products as Hornby - who knows.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

"Paul Boyd" wrote

And rarely dealt with by eBay even if you do report it.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Just wait till you try to disentangle Airfix/Mainline/Palitoy/Replica/Dapol/Bachmann/Hornby :-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

gee thanx I think :-)

More seriously thanks guys. I should have twigged to the xcross indexing thing. The bids did seem steep against new prices.

Norman

Reply to
Norman

When I've reported them in the past, they were dealt with, but after 2002 eBay just didn't bother.

Reply to
Rich Mackin

On 02/02/2006 20:55, Rich Mackin said,

But are you really Rich Mackin?? Ooops - sorry, wrong thread!!!! It is true that eBay seem to do very little these days except count their profits. In the great scheme of (eBay) things, keyword spamming is trivial. There are for more immoral and illegal scams on there that also go unmolested by eBay, despite many reports. I know some illegal auctions carry on for hours, or days, after mass reporting by the eBay community. If eBay can't get these sorted, the minor matter of a wrongly used brand names doesn't really stand much chance. It might make the reporter feel they have done their duty though!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Rich Mackin" wrote

I recently had a couple of listings terminated by eBay when I 'advertised' some DCC decoders as being 'suitable for Hornby or Bachmann', and after that made a nuisance of myself by reporting every single such incident I came across of keword or brandname spamming when searching for stuff myself.

I also reported someone who won one of my items, but when I came to invoice him after the auction the buyer had failed to register a proper name or address. He still hasn't paid, and eBay don't seem to have done much about it either.

I think I can safely say that eBay really don't give a toss about anything, although they make nominal attempts to prove otherwise. As long as they're raking in their commission, nothing else seems to matter.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John Turner said the following on 03/02/2006 00:07:

That is just the sort of ridiculous reaction from eBay you get! A DCC decoder is suitable for Hornby or Bachmann, so the description or title is factual, not spamming. Having the listings pulled though means that some bugger has reported you!

Meanwhile, I'll just carry on selling photos of mobile phones for £00s of pounds, Ipods & Xboxes that don't exist (whatever they are!), electrical goods dispatched from "Shanghai, United Kingdom", postage being charged at £60 for a penny item, plus compulsory insurance at £15... Of course I will post it to Nigeria, sir!

All part of the fun that is eBay! I do enjoy it, really. I have just won an item from the USA that I am really excited about - if all goes to plan you may hear about the results on this group :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

That's Ebay for you. If there is a reasonable market for an item, the prices usually end up above what you would expect to pay in a shop. Particularly for second hand stuff. It's all a matter of availability and the fact that people can get these items without the effort of physically searching for them in shops, exhibitions and swapmeets.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B

but I heard recently that hornby, lima, rivarossi, jouef, and I don't remember the rest of it ... are now in the same group ..

Reply to
domi --d

"domi --d" wrote

A year or so back Hornby purchased the Rivarossi group from its receivers and acquired Rivarossie, Lima, Joueff, Pocher and Arnold.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

OK ! and seems that Roco is a bit ill these days ...

Reply to
domi --d

That's a pity - Roco and Trix (owned by Marklin?) are propably the best of the European manufacturers.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

"domi --d" wrote

Refinanced and back up and running I do believe.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

Trix is owned by Märklin, but Roco is independent.

Whilst I agree that Roco is generally high quality, it is equalled by some of the most recent releases from Fleischmann.

I've personally never really rated Trix, although some of the more recent Märklin inspired models are of pretty good quality.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

That's good.