Hornby 2008 new model list...

And if you forget you're attached to the table when you stand up you pull the table with you and everything lands on the floor !

(kim)

Reply to
kim

But don't stand up too quick..... ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Not if the work bench is fairly solid as the velcro comes apart, as I found out the other day when the doorbell went and I stood up without thinking.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

The point of using velcro is that it comes apart provided the bench is fairly heavy.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

I don't think I'd be hand-building the track. ;-)

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

On 03/01/2008 19:30, Alan P Dawes said,

Well, you would have looked a little silly answering the door with a work bench dangling from your waist :-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

Depends on the angle of dangle.

Reply to
Christopher A.Lee

But when Hornby started their development Bachmann hadnt announced theirs so you cannot really blame Hornby for that. Did anyone mention duplication when Bachmann announced their 9F ?

Also think Bachmann being bit naughty (or even greedy) in still churning out split chassis stuff like B1 and (if it is still old model) unrebuilt Scot. How many people are getting caught by these older locos ? Think they should have concentrated on the upgrades rather than moan about Hornby or produce the G2.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Is this from the person wots messing around with track and figures when hes got some important loco kit to build ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Well it might have been well said but unfortunately it seems to me to be a reply to what he wanted the earlier posters to have said rather than what was actually written.

cheers, simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

I'm also doing 009 gauge rolling stock at the mo :-)

Took a leaf out of Nigel Lawton's book, flats, wagons and tubs together with 3 sizes of chassis and a bogie. As much stock as I could ever wish for for the price of the raw materials.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

"simon" wrote

Perhaps Hornby should be more open about their plans, or maybe there should be an element of discussion between the two major manufacturers to avoid such duplication.

The Hornby model needed upgrading as did their 'Jinty' and there would have been nothing to stop them doing either, but I guess they left them on the back-burner whilst concentrating their efforts on the plethora of Southern locos.

Other existing models which need upgrading:

Bachmann - B1, V1/V3, V2, J72, 03 & 04 diesels.

Hornby - Unrebuilt Patriot, B17, D49, Compound, GWR 28xx, 14xx, J50, J94 etc.

the list goes on & on.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Not a chance. As far as I can see Hornby is simply flooding the market with unneeded products so as to squeeze out the competition.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

I think there's an awful lot of truth in at least part of that, and for sure there is far too much Hornby product in a relatively small market place. Just take a look at the comparative prices of 'used' Hornby and Bachmann on eBay for instance. Hornby locos sell for VERY little, whilst Bachmann seem to hold their values much more readily.

How many 'King Arthur' models have Hornby flooded onto the market in a relatively short period of time? Must be approaching double figures, and of course they've done much the same with other recent releases such as the Bulleid Pacifics.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The King Arthur is at least an exclusive, newly-tooled model. A lot of the recent Hornby rehashes appear to have been done purely to deprive newly-tooled Bachmann models of their market share and for no other reason. I think the Hornby management have decided there is only room for *one* RTR manufacturer in the UK and it's going to be them.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

"kim" wrote

I think they're backing a loser in that case. If the retail trade have any sense they'll support Bachmann against Hornby - at least Bachmann and to a similar extent Heljan are not flooding the market with too much product.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Any company putting itself into a monopoly position, either in the UK or Europe would be wise to keep an eye on the kind of problems Microsoft have faced worldwide. Hornby could certainly end up under the spotlight of monopolies legislation if they get anywhere near being the only RTR manufacturer in the UK, as it would have to mean they'd squeezed out viable competition.

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

But thats back to theyre not allowed to discuss by EU anti competition laws. Its the announcing theyre going to upgrade then continuing to produce older versions that i think is naughty. May be only a relatively small number catch the announcements and not all retailers would warn their customers.

True, but they decide where the money is and upgrade or develop accordingly - well i hope they do.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Now I can believe retailers are suffering from the plethora of train sets that apprear in all the argos type shops but dont see how customers suffer. Seems to me more a case of Bachmann not getting stuff out to the market so customer is suffering from lack of product. i'm reminded of my local toy shop who couldnt get a particular loco for me. In the end they just gave up on bachmann. Really dont understand the second hand market - perhaps it was easier before ebay - but look at the prices of Mainline, before recent upgrade announcements theyre Scots were up for £40-50, now theyve plunged nearer to £25-35. Similar effect on Bachmann ones as well.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Nope, Hornby decide on what will sell and if bachmann leave the upgrade of a model too late then its a chance for hornby to sell it. Dont remember anyone condeming Bachmann for the 9F or the Jinty - I certainly didnt just as I'm not condeming Hornby now.

Well OK, I will cos I want a decent unrebuilt Scot and not a standard 4, but thats personal and I accept I'm not their only customer.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon