Hornby 2008 new model list...

"John Turner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

I was reading the adverts in thr back of RM today about a dedicated and profitable model rail shop in HUll, three bedroomed flat above, yard to rear being put up for sale. From the top of my head I can only think of two, you don't have any news do you?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Graham Thurlwell wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d.thurlwell.btopenworld.com:

While you're here, is Dave Brabem (or anyone) *ever* going to produce a new version?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Dave Braben's been interviewed a few times in the last few months and has said that Elite 4 is in early development but won't be coming out until after The Outsider (which itself doesn't have a release date yet).

Braben's company, Frontier Developments, has a website at

but don't expect anything particularly illuminating about E4 - it looks like they're going for the same level of secrecy that surrounded the original BBC release.

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

So was I. ;-)

Reply to
Graham Thurlwell

"Chris Wilson" wrote

Yes it's ours. Put up for sale (but no rush to sell) with the eventual hope of retirement.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

Sad loss when you do go.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Wouldn't buy any of the cheap China made crap they are making now. You can't service the motors, they have a limited 100 hour life(typical average) and spares including spare bodies are almost non existant.

Reply to
thetriangman

"Chris Wilson" wrote

Nice of you to say so, but I suspect in the current economic climate it may be a while selling. In the meantime it's business as usual.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.supernews.com:

If I was a year or two closer to retirement (my pension arrives when I'm

55) I might have popped up to have my arm twisted. Something like that would be right up my street - be my own boss for the first time in donkeys, doing something I like - and of course my pension to keep me going if I make an idiot of myself at shopkeeping. Unfortunately I still have to many years to go, shame I'd like to get back up North - even if it is the wrong side of the Pennines. :-)

All the best to you and Mrs T, enjoy your retirement.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Noooooooooooooo! Best of luck John, your excellent service will be missed. Rob

Reply to
Rob

Maybe, but the whole point of that sort of labelling is to prevent stuff from being sold years later. *You* would not know old a product was on the shelf if it were not shown in basic date form. But the

*manufacturer* who put it in the supply chain, perhaps long after it was discovered at the rear of the racking would know from the batch numbering and other coding. Since the manufacturer usually puts some codes on products by choice, why not the date?, it is no big deal.

Cans of soft drink do not last forever at all.

I remember reading that somewhere that a woman had bought 2 chocolate bars. Her daughter had one, then when she went to eat hers, she checked the use by date and it was *22 years* out of date. No ill effects, but is that type of thing good for the consumer?

I also heard of steak being sold 9 years old, presumably stuck in a freezer for that long.

A major supermarket chain here (Australia) was found with a batch of cheese 18 months past use by date in one store. Presumably a mistake, it was clearly mouldy and major chains cannot afford to deliberately do that.

At least if there is a use by date on a product, *you* get to choose whether the product is worth the risk. Of course it has been improperly stored or the seal broken, it is not worth a cracker.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

"Kevin Martin" wrote

How long before *they* fence off roads so that you can only cross at approved places, or surround the whole of the coast line of the UK to prevent people falling off the edge?

We don't need it, and in any event it's counter-productive as it eliminates the safety aspect in appreciating risk. If the nanny-state continues in its present direction, that coast-line fence will become a reality.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

While I can agree that there are elements of government fiddling in the concept of the 'nanny state', I think the bigger problem today is fear of litigation. That's what's driving the 'cotton wool' mollycoddling we get today, as companies, businesses, organisations, hell, even model railway societies, are worried about everybody and their kid having a little mishap and getting a scratch, and consequently end up sued. 'Kill the lawyers', that's what I say ;-) (I'll probably get sued for saying that)

Reply to
Ian J.

How on earth can cheese have a use-by date? Most cheese lovers would say most cheeses get better with age - though chopping off the mould may be required after a while. I can understand a sell-by date to help keep track of stock on shelves, but use-by? Surely that is down to the consumer and their particular tastes. The Mem is one of the "it goes off at midnight on the use-by date, so must be thrown away" brigade and it galls me that we throw so much perfectly edible stuff away as a result. While it's obviously not practical to pack it up and send it somewhere where people are starving and would, almost literally, die for it, it does still make me feel very guilty - and, of course, it means something like 30% of our food shopping goes straight in the bin. It never ceases to amaze me that mankind has managed to keep going this long, as according to the "experts" we should have died out years ago from eating slightly out of date food! (though of course until relatively recently dates were an unknown concept, and this helped immensely, since without a date food doesn't know when to go off)..... On the Disc World, there is a tribe that invented Health & Safety Officers before the spear and fire - they hunt by waiting around for animals to drop dead in front of them and eat raw meat. It's not a big tribe ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Heartily agreed - until the legal "profession" learns the words "well, that was bl**dy stupid/unlucky/an accident (delete as applicable) - bad luck" and "I don't need a new Mercedes this month" then things are just going to get worse. The government don't help, but the Nanny State is deing driven by the legal "profession" rather than Westmister or Brussels per se.

Our granchildren are going to grow up in a sterile, boring, risk-free world where the highlight of organising a [instert event of choice] is going to be doing endless paperwork. Already at a Land Rover Trial there are often more "posts" to be filled than competetors!

I'm very glad I'm not young enough to be facing their world.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

You can't just blame the lawyers, it is also the growing appetite of our fellow citizens for their services.

Mark Thornton

Reply to
Mark Thornton

There's a very simple answer to the problem of throwing away food: buy less...

Effectively meaning, we should buy what we *will* eat, not what we *might* eat. Modern shopping convenience and *way too low* food prices have a lot to answer for...

Anyways, what's this got to do with Hornby's 2008 list? Well, if we don't spend so much on food that's not eaten, then we get more money to buy models with (well, I do anyway ;-)

Reply to
Ian J.

It would help if the solicitors and lawyers didn't keep advertising for every man, woman, child and dog who's had the slightest mishap to come running to them with their injury stories so they (the lawyers) can make money off suing just about every local council, company, organisation, whathaveyou. Personally, I think the judges should just throw out most of these claims as profiteering off ill fortune. Or maybe, make sure that the solicitors and lawyers don't get paid, and any compensation goes not to the 'victim', but to charities that help genuine sufferers of difficult to cure or terminal natural illnesses. But that's just my humble onion.

Reply to
Ian J.

I'm affraid I do - our fellow citizens only go to the lawyers because the lawyers will take the case on and effectively promise them money.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

How are potentially eating stale rotten food & fencing off the coast line related?

Why should I have to buy stuff that has been sitting on a shelf for years, because some one has been too lazy to rotate stock properly, or organise the hired help to do so (i.e. the wages are so low, that they could not care less).

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin