New Hornby - press preview tomorrow

According to MRE Hornby are launching their new models tomorrow.

-- Best wishes, John Turner,

53A Models, Hull, UK.
Reply to
John Turner

I have heard it is either not this, the Q1 + 50, or some else other and more interesting in Hornbys view.

My money is on 00 live steam, electricaly heated water.

Reply to
Piemanlarger

"Piemanlarger" wrote

The 50 & the Q1 are definites for launch tomorrow, but there's something else being muted.

Maybe (sadly) a takeover of the Lima UK range?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

The message from "John Turner" contains these words:

Was there ever an uglier loco....?

Reply to
David Jackson

In message , David Jackson writes

You obviously haven't seen some of the American ones.

Reply to
John Sullivan

i reckon it's a Pendolino.

Pete

Reply to
mutley

"John Sullivan" wrote

Or some of the early UK diesel/steam hybrids.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Or or or that GWR attempt at "streamlining" whose designation temporarily escapes me, but looked something like a cross between an unstreamlined locomotive and cattle feed silo on its side.

R.

Reply to
Richard

"David Jackson" <

Yes. Lots.

Look at Europe or North America even.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

In article , David Jackson writes

Oh yes.

Might I suggest

For one of the excesses of the Stevens-Dripps partnership.

I made the acquaintance of this design while reading Mike Sharman's book 'The Crampton Locomotive'. It contained a few others uglier than that poor SR engine, without even the figleaf of austerity as an excuse, but none as magnificently awful as No. 30

Reply to
Chris Brown

"Badger" wrote

Take a look at TechCad Design if you want either of these. I have one of their class 15 diesels and it's pretty good.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Piemanlarger

Actually, it's a superdetailed Claughton.

OK... I made that up. But I can dream, can't I ? :-)

-- Enzo

I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

Reply to
Enzo Matrix

At roughly 04/09/2003 6:39 pm, the person described as Adam Warr stated:

Indeed. Now _that_ would be superb! (as long as it was a _good_ range...)

whokid

Pester me, why not: whokid at flywheelnetwork .co .uk

Reply to
Whokid

it's a superdetailed Faller hopper and Conveyor System thing

I can have nightmares, can't I ?

p.s did i tell you i've got one round at my mothers house ?

david

Enzo Matrix wrote:

Reply to
Derbyducks

I've seen some ugly ones here (I moved to the US 14 years ago) but I've never seen anything as ugly as a Q1. And also some quite beautiful ones.

An American friend complained that he loved British engines because they were so neat and tidy, so when he went to England for the hols, he took a trip on the Bluebell line. He said he flew 5000 miles and what was the first British engine he saw for real, and rode behind? Their Q1. He did get to ride behind an SECR engine in fully lined out Wainwright green livery though, and fell in love with the Maunsell engines.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

The message from "Christopher A. Lee" contains these words:

I hope he took the quick recovery treatment: a ride behind a Black Five. Cures you of most things - especially interest in things Southern...

Reply to
David Jackson

"John Turner" :

A 6-2-0 with 8ft. drivers? As it says on the previous page, slow off the mark but fast once it got rolling! The 4-4-0 rebuild wan't much better.

Reply to
MartinS

"Enzo Matrix" wrote

Why? I'd buy one, but it would have to be the small boilered version and would be my first loco in LMS (as opposed to BR) livery.

I just adore those small boilered Claughtons however much out of period for my layout.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

EMU please, pretty please...

Reply to
Rob K

From their press release:

Hornby Plc, ("Hornby") the models and collectables Group, has unveiled a new range of model trains that are powered entirely by steam.

The launch of Hornby's 'Live Steam' range is the culmination of three years of research and development into the miniaturisation of components. The model trains are 1:76 scale (OO Gauge) and will run on standard Hornby track. They are powered by a miniaturised steam boiler that will replicate the driving action of classic steam trains. The first model that Hornby is launching is the A4 Class Mallard, which holds the World speed record for steam powered trains. In 1937 the Mallard hit a new record speed of 126 mph.

The Hornby 'Live Steam Mallard' model will be sold as part of a complete model railway set, which include track and controllers. The sets will retail at approximately £500 and will be in the shops ahead of Christmas. Key technologies of this new range are patent protected and Hornby is planning to extend the range of classic 'Live Steam' models in the future.

Frank Martin, Chief Executive of Hornby commented,

" This is a major leap forward in model railway technology. This revolutionary Live Steam model railway system raises steam by electricity drawn from the track and allows the user to control the locomotive by electrical signals transmitted via the track. The Live Steam range includes over 500 individually manufactured components. The mechanisms are all hand built and the reliability and the quality of the engineering are outstanding.

" This is a classic example of our ability to drive our new product pipeline. It is very important that we continue to evolve our products to ensure that we open up new markets. I am confident that the unique features of the Hornby Live Steam System will enable us not only to create a significant market in the UK, but also to spearhead the establishment of the Hornby brand in international markets.

" We expect that the launch of the Hornby Live Steam System will be strategically important for the development of the Company. We expect that the product will appeal not only to existing model railway enthusiasts around the world, but will also attract new entrants into the hobby. Hornby Live Steam will be launched prior to Christmas in the UK and also in the USA via our subsidiary Scalextric USA Inc.."

Reply to
Simon