New Hornby - press preview tomorrow

Phil: Obviously the unit must comply with safety regulations. Therefore the voltage MUST be less than 50V for safety, and probably (hopefully) a lot less... in fact I HOPE they have used the dcc standard since it already exists, and has 25% of the US market, and people likely to buy the loco to USE rather than leave in a box (why don't they just buy a photo or empty box 8-) ), are likely to also use or consider dcc track control.

Therefore consider 16V ac with control data as the switching frequency (dcc). Maximum current capability 5A (again toy train regulations) P=IV = 16 x 5 = 80Watts absolute maximum, and nothing else running. It will be less than this:

Note that it says it takes time to heat, and then runs for 25-30 minutes. (What volume of water can you get in the tender?? possibly 10cm3?

Now calculate 25min x60 seconds = 1500seconds and the latent heat of steam for the energy required to convert water at (100C) to steam, and ignore the preheating time to get the water to 100C in the first place (for this rough example)

(brain stress - is is 540Joules per gram???? itsa been a long time)

1500 seconds to consume 540J x 10cm3 (10g) 5400 1500 ....5400 15 ......54 Joules 5........18 Joules 1 second .... 3.5Joules which implies a lot less than 80W

obvously the actual figures work or the product wouldn't have been launched!

E+OE !

I look forward to reading more about it, and joining the queue to get a West Country!

Phil

Reply to
Phil

djdublo

Metal body perhaps? After all for your £500 you appear to be getting loco, track and regulators plus the essential add-ons required to maintain the beast.

My Hornby Mallard is looking decidedly worn out. Perhaps I should save up! Problem is will it run on my soon to be contructed layout which will be DCC operated? Don't really want to blow £300+ worth of DCC kit!

Reply to
djdublo

Live steam in 00 - great news.

Maybe Bachman can retaliate and regain the initiative by releasing an English Electric Type 4 1Co-Co1 or "Peak" complete with steam heating boiler.

"Pass the Spanners"

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy

Perhaps, but is it a stroke of genius from Hornby or loss of marbles? They've been developing this for a couple of years now, surely they have done some research about if it will sell or not.

Personally I hope it works really well, especially if these locos can run at the same time as conventional locos and DCC too.

Reply to
djdublo

Cheer up John, it'll soon be Xmas, then you can do your "Bah Humbug..." act in the shop ;-)

Now, Where's me plans for the water troughs and the scoops?

Tommy

Reply to
Tommy

"djdublo" wrote

Well they don't seem to have asked many, if any, of their retailers which I would have thought would have been a good starting point with market research.

The latter is hardly something Hornby have seriously bothered with in the past, their 3½" gauge live steam "Rocket" was an abject sales failure, and the number of products they have tried over the years which have been equally unsuccessful seems to confirm this point.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I didn't understand most of the technical stuff...way over my head...

However, I second your request for a West Coconutty...

I seem to remember reading somewhere in Hornby's info on their website that they imagined some people might actually want to set up a layout entirely using live steam. If they believe this is possible, then the power requirements can't be too strenuous, otherwise it would overload and such an idea would be impossible.

Does this mean its compatible with DCC? Probably, though as others have said, we need to know many more details...

Ian J.

Reply to
Ian J.

"Phil" <

I'm waiting for a Terrier or a P class tank.

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Just how realistic can chuffs and toots be at that scale? Less so than an electronic sound module, I'd guess. And what about the coal smoke?

Reply to
MartinS

"MartinS" <

Pot, kettle, black.

But then again, I won't say more as I respect my elders. :-)

-- Cheers Roger T.

of the Great Eastern Railway

Reply to
Roger T.

Should take care of any errant cats, etc.

Reply to
MartinS

A steam-powered 4-CIG?

Hmmm... Personally, I wouldn't bet the farm on it at £500 a shot.

Reply to
MartinS

... with steam leaking out of the pipes between coaches.

Reply to
MartinS

They've certainly kept the project under wraps, for better or worse.

I wish them luck, but I'm not buying Hornby shares right now.

Reply to
MartinS

There's a GWR 2-8-0 tender loco on the Glos. & Warwicks. Ry.

Reply to
MartinS

Touché, Roger.

Reply to
MartinS

In the early 80s one firm - one of the brass lot - did a 00 gauge live steam "Rocket"..

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

Whats next? Genetically engineered 1:76th scale drivers?

Reply to
Robin Laws

Martin,

You should have bought thhem last week - they jumped up by quite an amount on this news :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie