New Hornby - press preview tomorrow

On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 10:27:30 +0100, "John Turner"

I know that there used to be a similar layout that used to appear at the Manchester Show, years back, albeit in a larger scale. That uses app. 50 volts AC for the immersion heaters + a superimposed DC voltage to contrl the regulator, etc.
How many volts / amps will this Hornby set use?
DC
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 16:06:16 +0100, "Rich Mackin"
Rich,

From what I can gather, the heating of the boiler will be by immersion heater, so the loco will be no more dangerous than your average kettle :-) Now, if it was fired using something like methylated spirits, that might be another matter :-)
Jim.
"

I agree, it's a nice idea, I think the 500 price tag seems to indicate they don't expect to sell that many. 500 Gets you a a nice stud of electric motor powered locos, gets you into the entry level of garden rail steam locos, and if you want an impressive table piece it hits the range of Basset-Lowke and ACE ) gauge models too.
I think perhaps people were expecting a more "modeller" based annoucement, where as this seems to be more of an expensive (very) toy. I wonder if Corgi would use a similar system for their Basset-Lowke range, might be interesting.
Simon

The Black 5 is wholly unsuitable for three year olds.....
-- Enzo
I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

I think all model railway items other than something like the Tomy or Brio ranges are unsuitable for 3 year olds but (unless the Black 5 is different) that's the recommended age which was on Hornby products last time I checked...

Just checked mine too - it's a standard Hornby box, but it says the same thing on the leaflet inside, after the warnings about delicate parts.
Oddly, Corgi OOC and Lledo Trackside are not recommended for children under 14, but EFE suggests 3. There seems to be no "happy medium"; I'd say about 8 is an age when kids can handle delicate objects.
--
Martin S.

MartinS There seems to be no "happy medium"
You're forgetting Doris Stokes..... :-)
-- Enzo
I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

How can I forget her? I've never heard of her.
If anyone was going to pick up on that, it had to be Enzo. :-)
--
Martin S.

Looking at the new live steam section of the Hornby site, they state in red bold letters that this set is not for under 14s.
Dj

John Turner

Me. :-)
Although I will probably wait until they do a Coronation class.
-- Enzo
I wear the cheese. It does not wear me.

I do ;-). The price may be high but it would be fantastic to have a live steam 00 model on my layout!
Jim
Sorry. Not for me at any price.
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 08:21:10 +0100, "Simon"

sounds excellent! I'd like to see some of the engine shed layouts currently doing the exhibition circuit with a bunch of these on display, it would change the atmosphere of such layouts completely.
the stock market obviously liked the news. approaching 10 quid a share as i type!
Pete
--
http://www.ukrecmodelsrail.co.uk
modelling tips, how to & exibition guide.

Oh dear....live steam OO...I'd loved to be proved wrong, but that sounds like a sales disaster in the making. Hate to think how many decent locos / rolling stcok models they could've tooled for the cost of this escapade.
On 5 Sep 2003 06:49:19 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (airsmoothed) wrote:

if these models are produced in the same factory in China as the rest of the Hornby range then they won't have to sell -that- many to turn a tidy profit. It's all done by batch production nowadays.
Hornby also already have the tooling/drawings for the bodywork of the locos so there's very little cost/development on that side of it.
Pete
--
http://www.ukrecmodelsrail.co.uk
modelling tips, how to & exibition guide.

new
Just noticed a couple of pages about the Live Steam on their website now http://www.hornbyrailways.com/pages/livestm_live.aspx
"The first of a planned range of Hornby Live Steam sets includes a 'OO' gauge LNER Class A4 'Mallard', transformer with separate control unit, operating accessories including water and oil fillers, running oil and gloves plus full operational instructions both as a booklet and in a CD-Rom format. The track configuration is an oval requiring a space of 244cm x 107cm."
Simon

Everyone seems to have missed the line in their press release, saying it will be marketed in the USA by their American subsidiary. Don't forget that the USA is a mush bigger market than just the UK.
This also implies that maybe the technology will be licensed to other manufacturers, with Hornby getting a royalty for every item sold. Can you imagine some of those gigantic Mallet-type locos the Americans were rather fond of, running on live steam?
--
John Sullivan
OO in the garden http://www.yddraiggoch.demon.co.uk/railway/railway.html

I agree, I think this new thing has potential and shouldn't be rubbished just yet. Wait a week or two... ;o)
So, er, when are the OO live diesel-electrics launched? (Yes, I know it's impossible but it would be great wouldn't it?!)
whokid
Pester me, why not: whokid at flywheelnetwork .co .uk
"Whokid" wrote

Small enough diesels and generators exist so I'm sure it's technically possible but I imagine such a thing would make a hideous whine, so ideal for an HST. Maybe suitable for a garden railway where your nearest neighbours are more than a mile away. 8-)#

If their first attempt is successful, perhaps they will refine the mechanics and eventually produce non-streamlined locos with exposed cylinders.
--
Martin S.