New Hornby Couplers

There have been a number of complaints about the flimsy plug-in couplers Hornby is fitting to locos and rolling stock (specifically the new Pullmans). I have a Black 5, and wrote to Hornby about the couplers. In their usual fashion, they sent me several "new and improved" replacements, but of course they weren't new or improved at all.

While re-wheeling some assorted second-hand goods wagons, I came across a Dapol wagon with couplers that plug into a pocket that has a clip-on plastic cap. I found that these are interchangeable with the Hornbys, and they are much more sturdy and have nice metal hooks. I haven't seen this mentioned here so I thought I'd pass it on in case you have any Dapol wagons lying around. I put the Hornby coupler on the wagon and marshalled it near the end of the train. Of course you could use Kadees.

Reply to
MartinS

Hornby of course took over most of the Dapol range, hence why the coupler sockets are the same. Their ex-Dapol re-releases retain the Dapol couplings (ie the HAA Hopper wagons etc)

Alan

Reply to
Alan Rathbone

In message , MartinS writes

Of course.

Reply to
John Sullivan

"Alan Rathbone" wrote

The HAA was never in the Dapol range Alan, I think you may mean the HBA & HEA types.

All of the ex-Airfix and ex-Dapol plug-in type couples are compatible with the Hornby plug-in socket. It's just a shame Hornby had to be *different again* and wouldn't adopt the Bachmann mini-type coupling, use of which Graham Hubbard tells me they were offered free of charge.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Have you fitted Kadees to the new Pullman coaches John? Or any one else for that matter, is so how and which?

Reply to
piemanlarger

"> > --

I have fitted the Kaddee 20's to the Pullmans. I drilled a small hole above he shank and re-screwed them in. So far so good although I had a problem with the bogies locking up on a 2nd radius curve. I too contacted hornby and they are sending me replacement boogies for all 6 of my coaches Rob

Reply to
Joanna

Unfortunately, the Bachmann NEM pockets are at the wrong height to install plug-in NEM Kadees 17-20. The latter can be glued and/or screwed to the outside of the box.

Reply to
MartinS

Alternatively,remove the NEM socket,turn it upside down,and refit it about half-way into its mount (glue if needed). This should put it at the correct height.

Not all sockets are at the wrong height,the ones on the CAR brake van are ok.

Neil.

Reply to
neil-uk

In message , piemanlarger writes

No. You didn't get many Pullmen in the South Wales valleys, so I'm afraid I am not going to buy any.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Inconsistent! (I don't model modern image.)

Reply to
MartinS

Are the Dapol and Hornby coupler sockets NEM standard?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

No.

Reply to
MartinS

I'm rather hoping it's a case of Bachmann seeing the error of their ways and making all new models with the socket at the correct height.

Neil.

Reply to
neil-uk

OK - is there a published standard? There should be if two or more firms are using the coupler socket.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Depends on your definition of 'wrong'. In my case the wagons are correct and the CAR brake vans are wrong, ie low.

Check the NMRA website for recommended coupler height for 00, and remember the instructions with the Kadees are for H0. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Yes, see

Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

For use with magnetic uncouplers, Kadee specifies that the trip pin should be 1/32" above rail height. Couplers mounted at other than the recommended height will require adjustment of the trip pin.

Reply to
MartinS

That depends on the magnets you use, I have used the undertie magnets and the KD electromagnets both of which work fine with the couplers at

12mm above rail and the trip pins left just as they come. The extra clearance makes sure they don't catch on anything. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Any higher than recommended, and I find they foul the buffers.

Reply to
MartinS

Which part of the coupler would you measure 12mm to?

Reply to
Gregory Procter