New Hornby Couplers

Same place you measure 10.5mm to when using them in H0. ie Centre of knuckle.

in practice you don't measure them you use a height guage, either use the KD H0 gauge with a 1.5mm shim under the coupler box, or make your own from plasticard. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

I always wondered!

I have never owned a height gauge. I have a couple of wagons each fitted with a Kadee at one end only, for that day when someone brings around a loco with Kadees. Always wondered if I had the height right.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

A bit late as I was at ExpoNG all day saturday. As I was refering to the socket,I meant correct to the NEM362 standard,which is European,not American. Kadee no.17-20 are designed to operate correctly when fitted to a NEM362 socket at the correct height.

Neil.

Reply to
neil-uk

"neil-uk" wrote

standard,which

NEM standard may not necessarily be suitable for use on OO-scale models as they were designed for HO-scale use, producing a difference in buffer height for starters.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I find the NEM socket works better on OO scale models,as it sits just below the buffer beam,allowing plenty of room for the coupler to swing.HO models seem to need a hole in the buffer beam for the coupler,which tends to look ugly.

Neil.

Reply to
neil-uk

The Kadees tend to conflict with HO buffers!

Reply to
Gregory Procter

They are not meant to be used with buffers, but if you do and want it to work with reasonable inter-car spacing you need sprung buffers, or retracted buffers if that's what the prototype did. eg UK coaches including the pullmans, my website includes instructions for 'retracting' the sprung buffers on the Hornby pullmans.

Body mounted KDs should not swing far enough to reach the buffers.