Couplings

Hi All,

I'm currently planning my first layout and while the design is still to be finalised, it will include a goods shunting yard. Period will be 1960s using primarily late BR standard steam and some ex-LMS.

I intend to have lots of 2-axle private owner (and probably some LMS) goods vehicles which, although perhaps a tad out of period, provide a lot of visual variety and operating interest. I'm also hooked by the idea of having a sidings area which works as a shunting puzzle based on the famous 'Inglenook Sidings'.

So... what type of 4mm scale coupling system works best for remote un- coupling? I don't like the idea of ramps for the Hornby type coupling as they look awful (the ramps and the couplings!), and it is also impossible to couple up to a vehicle which is on the ramp and cannot be pushed off it due to lack of space ahead! I also can't really afford DCC controlled couplers on every wagon.

I've heard there are couplings which can be disengaged by electromagnets set in the track... who makes these? or did I dream it? And are they reliable? Are there any other alternatives? I have not purchased the vehicles yet, however I'll probably be going for ready- built, so whatever couplings I choose will need to retro-fit to Bachmann/Hornby etc.

Also, any suggestions for good super-slow shunting locos? I've heard the new Hornby 08s are excellent, and an early liveried one would be in-period, but I'd prefer BR steam if possible. Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

Ben.

Reply to
Ben

Most of them can be.

There's one called the Sprat & Winkle which is like a less obtrusive "upside down" version of the Hornby.

The hook and bar are made of etched brass, and there is a dropper that is pulled down by the magnet.

There is also the Alex Jackson which is possibly the least obtrusive of all, but is fairly fragile.

A lot of people use the American Kadee which is a buckeye coupling that uncouples magnetically.

If you don't turn engines or stock, the Dingham coupler is one of the best. It actually looks like the 3-link coupling hook but is handes so thera are A and B ends. An A end couples to a B end but not to another A end,. Similarly for the B end.

Christopher A. Lee

J94 is a nice shunting class. Would also suggest a Jinty but then John Turner and I might revive the discussion of Bachmann vs Hornby !

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I didn't suggest an engine because those are a matter of personal choice.

My own preference would be for a kit-built GWR saddle tank.

But for ready to run a pannier tank. For something different you could paint it for London Transport who acquired some from BR to replace Metropolitan engines and used them until 1971.

Or you could renumber a 14xx to the non-auto-fitted 5800 series.

An alternative could be L&Y Pug or a Terrier.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Hornby Terrier is a great slow running loco.

Reply to
gene

Reply to
gene

There are numerous other types of electromagnetically operated.

DG (think they are now available from Model Signal Engineering) is fairly common in smaller scales.

They are easy to make and fit with a few tools, and very cheap. There is also a simpler version called the "P4ME". But I'd not recommend the AJ for anyone using track which allows a lot of horizontal "slop" which means vehicles don't align predictably. They are also difficult on tighter curves. They work very well in P4 (little slop), and I use them. I also have DCC controlled versions in locomotives, so don't have to "hunt the magnet".

- Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Cliffe

But Ben said the layout was to be set in the 1960s and by then all 58xx locos had been withdrawn except for 5815 that lasted until april '61.

Alan

Reply to
Alan P Dawes

Kadees allow delayed uncoupling as well so you only need a few strategic magnets either on track or under board. You do need a reasonable smooth running layout as delay effect will be lost if there's a lot of sudden stop starts. For more recent releases of locos and stock NEM couplings make the conversion quick and easy. Although Bachmann for some reason have there pockets at different heights. You can also hand uncouple by putting an instrument screwdriver in the knuckles and gently twisting. Also easy to lift stock as well as there are no hooks involved. Good luck.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I don't know how fiddly this would be in OO, but Ken Payne once showed me a simple way to make 3-link couplings easier in O.

Solder a piece of tube across a long single link. Keep a stock of these at the control panel.

Slip one of these onto a dental probe that it is a friction fit, and use the probe to place it between the coupling hooks, and withdraw the probe.

To uncouple just slip the point of the probe into the tube and lift.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Hi Nigel.

I run RP25 wheel and rail standards, which are much the same as UK proprietry non-standards, other than the smaller flanges. I have close to 1mm total "horizontal slop" on each wagon, which can equal 0mm/1mm/2mm of misalignment of two wagons coupling on straight track. Add to that fractional mm variations in centering of each coupling and the chances of any two wagons coupling with AJ couplers is about 67-75%. On proprietry curves the chances of two wagons coupling is about zero.

Probably the easiest couplers which fulfil Christopher's requirements are the Kadees and their many clones. Admittedly they need a little "model engineering" to create a flat mounting pad under the wagons, but that's not too onerous once you've figured it out.

Regatrds, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Not forgetting the preference for ex-LMS locos.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Like the J94?

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

True, but at least they were designed/modified/adapted by/for Riddles. Dont know what their distribution was during the 60's though.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

There were a heck of a lot in industry though. The NCB bought a lot of panniers as did London Transport, which is the reason I mentioned them.

I don't know if the NCB had any Terriers. They tended to go to light railways - which is how the Greatest Western acquired theirs when they inherited the assets of the WC&P.

FWIW there were also industrial Gronks.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Huh? Was there something after the LMS???

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Kadees are fine in OO I use them myself.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

For a few years till BTC was disbanded and Riddles retired, then it all went pear shaped thanks to government interference.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon