Petter M Running problems

Hi I have owned a restored Petter M type for the last year. At the first rally of the season it ran fine all day, but since then it will only run for around an hour, after which the plug it too sooted up for a spark to jump the gap, therefore the engine stops. Replacing the plug means the engine will start straightaway. The obvious problem would then seem to be that I am running the engine too rich, but if I cut the fuel back any further it spits and coughs and misses and so on. I used to be able to cut the fuel back quite a lot more without this happening, but now I can't. I have tried various spark plugs including Champions and old lodges (which have been most successful but still not going much over an hour). A while ago I removed the adjuster needle form the fuel chamber and found the taper on the end to be quite burred - is this the likely cause of my problem?? I have tried various loads to run the engine under but this doesn't make much difference in the long run. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am only 15, and not yet very experienced.

Thankyou.

Reply to
Petaman

A bent or burred needle will certainly give rise to the symptoms you describe. A lathe is best but very careful use of a fine file and emery should do the job. If sorting that doesn't cure it do come back as there are plenty of other more obscure possibilities. Is the spark good?? hth

Reply to
Roland Craven

Huge spark - just had the mag rewound

Reply to
Petaman

Interesting. In my and others experience a 5hp in good nick simply will not run well without a decent load. Its quite possible that a weak spark enabled it to appear to run OK before. The needle still needs sorting though. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Interesting. In my and others experience a 5hp in good nick simply will not run well without a decent load. Its quite possible that a weak spark enabled it to appear to run OK before. The needle still needs sorting though. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Thankyou for your assistance - I will have a look at the needle this weekend.

Reply to
Petaman