Running Problems

Hi, I have an Appletop and some years ago when it was first restored I suffered the same problems, at a rally one day I was struggling to keep it going and an old chap stood watching and commented on the fact I was running on petrol and not kerosene. My theory was that if I could not get it to run on petrol then it would stand no chance on kerosene. He had used Petter Ms for many years as part of his job and said he had found some were not at all happy on petrol. I borrowed some paraffin (heating oil, not the more refined stuff) and never looked back. My engine runs like a three legged donkey on petrol but is a dream on 28 second heating oil. What fuel are you running on??

Reply to
John Southall

Hi, I'm running on petrol. Yesterday I repaired the taper on the damaged fuel needle and checked the distance between the fuel nozzle and piston - which seemed to be ok. The small holes in the fuel nozzle were also cleaned. After re-assembly the engine did run better, and I can cut the fuel back further without the engine spitting and coughing!

I will try some paraffin/28 second heating oil, in the near future, to see if this helps further.

Thankyou

Reply to
Petaman

Although I recognise that opinions vary I would urge you not to run off-load on 28sec. Off load the gas velocity is inadequate through the atomiser and the engine won't be hot enough to properly vaporise the fuel. As a result some will get past the rings, and both puddle in the crankcase and mix with the oil, to the detriment of rings, bore and little end. Some will also escape via the exhaust showering all around in a "delicate" and irremovable fog of paraffin/oil mix, "Petterspots" as PT-E has christened them. A 50/50 mix might be a good compromise but in the end the only thing that cleans and smooths a Petter M is load. Having said that its your engine to do with as you please. regards Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Thankyou for your advice - I will bear it in mind. After sorting the needle the engine runs quite a lot better - perhaps I had better just leave it as it is.

Reply to
Petaman