Petter problems

I recently purchased a 3hp 1924 Petter M type of ebay, but only picked it up at IF last weekend after sending Dan to collect it, at a cost of the usual beer tokens.

A photo can be found courtesy of Dan at

Upon inspection it has suffered some damage in the past. Some idiot seems to have hit the key to far in the the flywheel on the magneto side of the engine. The result of this is that the boss of the flywheel is badly cracked and hte flwheel now fits very loose on the crank. Does anybody have or know of a spare flywheel?

There is also a problem with the mag. The shaft which the mag gear sits on has been bent and the gear now runs about 1/16" out of true. Any ideas on how to cure this problem?

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

I placed an advert in stationary engine mag for a 3hp flywheel and recived 3 or more calls with people who had spares, the mag shaft will be tricky, to be able to grip it to be and to put any pressure on it to right it would mean dismantaling the armature, in which case i would try and obtain a replacement armature, dont be tempted to apply any froce to the mag gear as they are very brittle and teath will crack of very quickly.

HTH

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Writing into SE was the next step for the flywheel. Or failing that theres always a good variety of spares on offer at Astle.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

If you can find anyone with a lathe big enough to swing it, you could have a true diameter turned on the outside of the offending boss & a steel ring shrunk on. That should stabilise the crack and allow the wheel to be safely reused.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

I considerd having a sleve put on on of the flywheel but when a replacemnt was only =A330-40 I thought it just aint worth the risk, It could cost that to perform a repair which could still fail.

Regards bob

Reply to
Bob

One option we looked at with the flywheel was to turn the boss down slightly and shrink fit a sleeve but were put off by the amount of slack betwwen the flywheel and the crank. And this was with the crack only halfway through and the flywheel fully on the crankshaft.

I have got round to examining the engine more closely and have more problems to report. The main Phosphor bronze bearing has suffered from a distinct lack of oil in the past, as a result of which has led to it friction welding itself to the crank. The remains of the bearing have been turned off in the lathe, however the crank now looks as though it would benefit from a regrind. The other Phosphor Bronze bearing and a new one will both be white metal lined.

I'm glad to say that apart from this the rest of the engine seems ok.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Well the advert in SEM payed off, and I managed to pick up a decent flywheel at the weekend (the guy had 3 of them lying in his shed).

Now all I need to do is get the crank re-ground and a couple of new bearings turned up, and the mag sorted.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

You would be surprised what parts are out there ! When i bought my 1932 5hp M type , it needed - a calibrator , carb , governor rods , and a new mag/calibrator side plate .

I never put an ad in S.E , But whenever a Petter 5hp came up on ebay - I would ask the seller do they have any spares . And i got lucky ! A chap in scotland had everything i required , and a appletop hopper aswell!

I have the engine (have a look on

apart now , and i think mine needs a regrind too. It was seized solid , but we stuck at it , and eventually got it to move , and work its way up the bore . I'll put some photo's on webshots when i get a minute ,as i'm doing my leaving certificate exams .

Good luck with the restoration , Regards, John D Ireland

Reply to
jdungan100