Internal Fire Open Day

Paul and Hazel must be doing something right. Every open day I attend is more fun than the last one.

I very much enjoyed the company of group folk Roland, Philip, Martin, Dan, Gary (and Steve) and Colin, as well as bumping into other old friends. It was good to put a face to Bob Lester's name, and seeing his well restored Petter S type put my scruffy efforts well and truly in their place. I gather I missed Andy Milestone, which was a shame.

As I spent a fair amount of time engine sitting, I didn't get to chat to everyone as much I would have liked, though tending to the Tangye MLD7 gives a high reward/effort ratio. She ran mesmerisingly well, and when a chap showed up who remembered seeing it running as a kid, it made my day, particularly when he said it runs better now! Thanks to Dan for looking after the Tangye for a while, letting me grab a cuppa and get to see the rally line. An excellent selection of engines, I thought, and all running nicely. The auction was expertly managed by Philip and Dan.

I was knackered when I got home, and very, very grateful that none of the ewes were lambing tonight.

I didn't take any photos as I forgot my camera. I do hope some of the others have some pictures to share.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

An excellent weekend, good to see everyone. Just landed after the 300 mile trek home....

Martin took loads of photos - hopefully see them soon.

Cheers Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

We got back at about 1AM on the back of a recovery truck. The alternator belt shredded at six months old and got tangled with the cam belt. All this ten miles after leaving IF. Good old Geen Flag to the rescue, but they owe me a tenner for taking more than the hour to get to us. Other than that we had a great weekend, put names to faces and saw some great engines.

Reply to
andyengine

Yep it sure was fun coming home on the back of the tow truck. On the plus side at least I came home with a couple of new toys. A 3hp Petter M and an unusual Ruston PT compressor set.

Mike M

miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
miley_bob

Yes, the weather fairies were kind to us. After an overcast start, the sun was out by 1000hrs & stayed out -- even if the wind did still blow.

Noticeable how some of Paul's rarities have now settled down into a life of simple contentment. In particular, the Sulzer & the big Tangye were running wonderfully evenly, & were a joy as always.

Great to see how the winter's efforts by Paul, Hazel, Keith & helpers have dramatically converted the "workshop" into a really professional reception area. Does wonders to boost the image of the museum in the first minute of contact, & gives a local source for SE publications & videos .... Not sure how many polite suggestions were received for uses for the amazingly tactile-feeling china beer pump handles .... a bargain at 50p!

Splendid to see such a wide range of visitors & exhibitors. Even a Green Goddess turned up, complete with its original stationary engine set .. Let's hope the interest keeps up all season.

Colin

Reply to
Colin

Gentlemen, I agree with everthing said about the weekend, we left at five and I got home around eleven thirty after a long drive. Good weekend all round.

Pictures in usual place.

Mart> Paul and Hazel must be doing something right. Every open day I attend

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Looks like everyone had a great time ... I.F is another place i've that's on the list of places i've to visit in the U.K !

Great picture's martin !

Regards, John

Reply to
jdungan100

Martin,

Thanks for the enjoyable photos, I thought your series of shots with Steve and the rammer were classic, particularly the last one, where the Warsop is in full-power gonad searing mode.

I imagine sinful roadworkers are condemned to eternity working a rammer on the pavements of Hell, but without steel toecaps and asbestos underpants :-).

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Arthur... It was nice to meet so many people that I have talked to via the net, I managed to take some pictures and a few videos that I have uploaded today on my website, they are not great qaulity as I found myself running around like a kid in a sweet shop, I must take a mo to thank everyone who gave me advice on the S and its habbits and to Paule and Hazel for putting on a great show I will def. be back next year.

Regards bob

Reply to
Bob

What is DSCF0346, the unusual beam cranked model engine?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

It's an Atkinson Differential Engine to Vincent Gingery's design. It ran as well as it looked and was a fascinating piece of model engineering.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

It's an Atkinson Differential Engine to Vincent Gingery's design. It ran as well as it looked and was a fascinating piece of model engineering.

Regards

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

The book on how to make the Atkinson Differential Engine is available from Lindsay Books

Or from Camden Miniature Steam in the UK

Paul Swindell

Gentlemen,

Last night I put up 60 pictures of Internal Fire Easter Weekend and I have just looked at the hits, 1221 in a day. That wont do the museum any harm will it.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman