Hex bar

I recently claimed a short length of fence from work. Nothing odd there you may think but this was made from 2 hrizontals of angle and 4 verticals of hex bar weleded to it. Each length of hex was about 6 ft. Why hex was used, God only knows. The stuff is 26.9mm A/F which makes it 5/8 BSW spanner size. Could it be that this was meant for road drill tools? Anyone know what size hex they were? If it is that steel, I'm going to have a hell of a job tapping it. Any ideas?

John

Reply to
John

I have a vague recollection that road drill tools are 1 1/8" hex, or

28.6 mm.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I've now measured a road drill chisel and that's 1.25 A/F Hex (31.7mm) so it looks like my original bar may be usefull after all.

John

Reply to
John