Wolseley WD8 parts

Hi all,

Sorry to post this appeal again. I posted it a few months back but didn't get any responses. I just thought I'd try again in case I catch a few different readers. I'm looking for a few parts for a Wolseley WD8 I'm restoring. Hopefully I might have it ready for a show this August. I need the cast iron oil seal retaining ring from the starting handle end of the crankshaft, and also the two bolts which hold the big end of the connecting rod together. If anyone has these parts or knows where I might get them, please let me know. Please post here or e-mail me at snipped-for-privacy@cantabgold.net.

Many thanks,

Chris Tidy

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Chris,

For the two bolts to hold the big end I would suggest going to a nut & bolt supplier or off the internet and purchasing two high tensile (size to suit in BSF, BSW , UNC or UNF) hex head steel bolts and castle nuts. The bolt heads can be turned (optional)to remove the hex and then file or machine a flat to suit the con rod. The threaded end will need to be drilled to suit a split pin.

My son has a spare oil seal retaining ring, I will get him to e-mail you off list.

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

Thanks Andy. I just had a message from your son this morning and it sounds like he has just the part I'm looking for.

I might have to buy some BSW high tensile bolts and machine them. I was just a little reluctant in case anything went wrong - I don't want the big end coming apart! The originals are either 5/16" or 3/8" BSW (can't remember which) and use a shakeproof nut. It isn't what I'd describe as a castle nut. It's more like an all-metal form of the common "Nylok" nut. It does have an official name but I can't remember it right now.

Thanks very much for the help.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Thanks very much to Andy and Mike for responding to my appeal and supplying an oil seal retaining ring. I thought that part might be an absolute nightmare to find! Provided that I can find some suitable bolts to secure the two halves of the big end, I should now be able to complete my WD8 restoration this summer.

For the moment I think I'll do as Andy suggests and buy a pair of high tensile BSW bolts. Unfortunately I haven't yet been able to find true bolts - I've only been able to find set pins - but I'll keep searching. In the meantime, if anyone should come across the big end bolts from a Wolseley, please do let me know as I'd be very interested. Of course it's possible that the big ends bolts from other engines of a similar size might be the same, but I don't know for sure.

Many thanks for the help.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to