Internal Fire New Year's Day

All,

Enjoyed a very good day at Internal Fire yesterday, and it was nice to be around engines after what seems like a long time not doing much with them. Not too many of our number were present this time, though Gary and Steve Millward and Peter Scales were in attendance, as well as plenty of other folk I'd not met before. The weather wasn't too bad on the day, just a bit overcast.

New attractions this time were the Lister Junior Genset up and running, though a little noisy around the top end, and the lightshow from the mercury arc rectifier. It was most interesting to see the straight six Pelapone in pieces. That's one long and spindly crankshaft! Though the engine had stood outdoors long enough for two of the cylinders to have water damage, amazingly, the mag had a serious spark when tried. I'm looking forward to seeing it running in 2006. Paul, do take before and after pictures of that camshaft wear.

I didn't take any photos, as I was on engine minding duty, but I'm hoping Steve had some success with his pictures...

Dan will be pleased to hear the the Powell ran well after his work on the mag last time (I don't think it has been run since then, as South Walians are too frightened of arm breaker starting handles made in Wrexham :-) ).

Happy New Year to all, and many thanks to Paul and Hazel for all their hard work organising the event and the food.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Well said Arthur. A very enjoyable day indeed.

Steve and I would also like to thank Paul and Hazel for the hospitality the cawl was excellent. We're already looking forward to the easter rally.

All the best Gary & steve

Reply to
gary millward

In message , gary millward writes

What they said :) I also was very taken by the working Start-o-Matic set adjacent to the radio room - must get mine sorted now! If you've not been to Internal Fire before, put the Easter Monday holiday in your diary.

I add my thanks to Rhiannon (sp?) for entertaining my youngest all day....

TTFN

Pete

Reply to
Peter Scales

Oops, I should have mentioned that Colin Osborne was there as well. Sorry Colin, the lapse was caused by excess brain fade following seasonal over-consumption. :-)

Regards, Arthur G

around engines after what seems like a long

time, though Gary and Steve Millward and

before. The weather wasn't too bad on

a little noisy around the top end, and

the straight six Pelapone in pieces.

long enough for two of the cylinders to

looking forward to seeing it running in

Steve had some success with his pictures...

last time (I don't think it has been run

handles made in Wrexham :-) ).

work organising the event and the food.

Reply to
Arthur G

Not wishing to break out old wounds Arthur but were you allowed to watch a certain large engine with out rigger bearing :-))

Mart> Oops, I should have mentioned that Colin Osborne was there as well. Sorry

Reply to
Campingstoveman

"Campingstoveman, (otherwise known as Stirringman)

wrote..........

certain large engine with out rigger

I think you refer to the Tangye MLD7 which had (cough, cough) slight main bearing trouble last time, but unless it's been modified, I can report that it is quite lacking in outrigger bearings.

It ran happily all day, and with the aid of sophisticated bearing monitoring techniques (feeling the bearing) by me and every stirring b*gger who appeared, the bearing was observed to have remained at an acceptable operating temperature.

Thank you so much for your concern, ;-)

Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur G

Your more than welcome Arthur, at least you know I care anyway.

Mart> "Campingstoveman,

Reply to
Campingstoveman

So you didn't check the outrigger then :-)

ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

There were also some fine model engines running well. One visitor had a very attractive group of hot air models, including a couple of Robinsons & two Flamelickers -- one horizontal & one vertical. Hadn't seen those in action before, so they were worth seeing.

Also a varierty of small steam engines, including one very unusual model with a large narrow flwheel =E0 la beam engine, enclosed within metal plates. Outboard of the plates was a pump on one side, & the cylinder on the other. Novel -- never even seen it illustrated before.

Steve Martin also had his i.c. Centaur open crank running well. Easier to move on a cold day than his 12" gauge steam road roller.

A group of VMCC motorcyclists turned up, including some that were featured in the same TV programme that covered IF late last year. Splendid RE Interceptor II, even 'tho still showing it's US-market origins!

I've got a bunch of action pix from IF that I'll put on a site somewhere .. includes the big Worthington vertical, Sulzer, Tangye etc etc. I'll post the link when done.

Colin

Reply to
Colin