Museums at night at Internal Fire.

Gentlemen,

As usual the 500 miles round trip was worth it, myself and Nick Highfield arrived at 13:30 yesterday afternoon and hopefully made ourselves useful by photographing every exhibit for Paul and Hazel. There have been a lot of changes since I was there on New Years day with the construction of new halls for the new exhibits the museum has acquired. I and the others sat down to a fish supper and then we all changed into our evening period attire, unfortunately due to some unfortunate incident with the rear end of a cow Siegfried Farnon could not attend so his friend Stan Laurel came in his place. He's a nice chap if a little simple minded. There will be a selection of photo's up later and I'm sure you will spot Stan.

Nick was most impressed and said he had never been made so welcome to a museum before so hats off to Paul and Hazel. Between the museums opening time of 18:00 and 21:30 we had a lot of visitors which kept most of us either minding or starting the engines for them to see them running. Another excellent event at Internal Fire.

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Gentlemen,

The pictures are here

enjoy.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Don't think I can claim to have to have been particularly useful - more mesmerised by the array of delights set out before me! Hopefully I at least added to the scenery with my finest impression of a neckerchiefed rustic and the 1cwt of receiver, B40 I lumbered Paul with will be of some use in the museum's radio room.

Certainly agree with Martin about the warm welcome - I'll be back!

NHH

Reply to
NHH

In message , NHH writes

I must (a) get to Internal Fire again somewhen, and (b) try to get a contact with the radio station there when it's in operation. I have a B40D here, and it's very good at stopping my radio room workbench floating up to the ceiling :-)

Likewise, as soon as I can find a new source of income...

Reply to
Andrew Marshall

Hi Martin

Just had a quick look at your photos and in oarticular

would that be a master clock for an impulse clock system? Looks like one - do they have it working and driving some slave clocks?

regards

Dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons

Hi Dudley, Yes it is a Post Office Master Clock. It is currently under test, but they have several slave clocks that will be run off it in due course.

Regards Dan

Reply to
dan

Hi Dudley, Yes it is a Post Office Master Clock. It is currently under test, but they have several slave clocks that will be run off it in due course. Regards, Dan

Hi Dan, It takes me back many years to when maintaining about 6 of them was part of my job as a GPO technical officer. There were several types but the master clock I maintained (36 type4) had a seperate solonoid that operated once a day to a pulse by landline from Grenwich. This corrected any small errors in my setting up. Is this the side solonoid I see in your picture?

anyone interested see

Dave Croft

Dudley,

I think your answer has been answered by my good friend Mr Howden :-)).

campingstoveman

Nice pics, did you vignette 29 electronically or was it a happy chance of the lighting conditions? I seem to have pretty much escaped the attentions of your soul stealer, but I guess the horrible truth will come out if what I heared described as the "care in the community shot" taken at the end of the evening ever sees the light of day!

As you probably gathered, I was very much taken with all the 'proper' exhibits, but there is a special place in my heart for that in the last two shots which I shall continue to refer to as the bogshed (those sharing my taste for John Peel's radio show in the 80's may understand)

- are plans available Dan?

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

Dear Marje,

I just spoke to my wife at work to ask if she wanted me to send a link to the pics, and the first thing she said was "is Dan Howden in any of them?". Should I be concerned?

Yours worried,

Rusty Nuts (W. London)

Reply to
Nick H

How dare you :-)) not one of the pictures was digitally altered, they were all down to the skill and precision of the idiot holding the camera.

Mart>> Gentlemen,

Reply to
campingstoveman

The Lister Pump Shed (Hall 809) is based on a typical farm pump installation. There is still one about two fields away from Internal Fire with a Lister pump in it. A quick tour around any rural location should produce a template for an agricultural wriggly tin shed, there are several around me from which I drew ideas. The exhibit at the museum is built on a standard pallet, which gives a firm base and means it can be moved around easily. The museum plans to take it to the 1000 engine, and who knows, there may be lots around next year :-)

Regards Dan

Reply to
dan

I was thinking Fuller & Johnson FPE

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

An ideal candidate :-) A pallet, simple timber frame and some second hand wriggly tin... Easy! Plus you gain space in the workshop as it can live outside ;-)

Dan

Reply to
dan

snipped-for-privacy@rhowden.fsnet.co.uk wrote (snip):

Never crossed my mind!

NHH

Reply to
Nick H

Nick H wrote (snip):

Oh dear - somewhere there is a village missing its idiot!

NHH

Reply to
NHH