PU8 Running

I stripped out the control box for the 110V DC side this lunch time, and somewhat miffed by the lack of go, Philip and I decided that a bit of what Kim calls 'Gypsy's Breath' or easy-start was applied to the inlet pipe.

This brought a few chuffs' so we put some petrol in one of the tanks, only to have it leak out through the perished fuel pips, which being braided means that you cannot see the perished bits!

Clear up half a gallon of petrol and open all doors to get fumes out....

Tried again, but nothing really encouraging, so magneto change is mooted.

Checking the magnetos, apart from the adaptor planges for the screen ignition cables, they are pretty much the same mag, BUT, we noticed that the brass segment which comes round to each plug in turn was 1/4 of a turn out on the old one compared to the other one (Paul Swindell's engine from Derby)

Bolted it all together, also nicked Paul's engine's tank and fuel pipe, opened the shutters and after a lot of general faffing about, it started with a huge cloud of rust particles from the exhaust and a scream from the timing gears.

The oil pressure indicator leaked....

The genny did its thing and made volts, as we had nicked the meters we used a DVM, but it all worked OK and varied up and down on the field resistor which was still in the top box.

The only major problem seems to be the tappets which now need adjusting, and the oil pressure indicator which needs repair or a gauge fitting as per Paul's engine. We cannot use Paul's as the screened ignition leads jut out just where the gauge would be, so a low-profile jobbie is needed.

The timing gear whine is quite noticeable, hopefully that is because we were running at full speed, but I can imagine it being a bit nerve-jangling if you were sat next to it at a rally.

Blisters on hands but happy smile!

Peter Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Gentlemen, My PU8 was one of the first engines I rallied, I took it to a Rally in essex near where we use to live, I had been lucky to find a genuine military pump which fitted directly on the flywheel side of the crank to was happily running it and full chat when this chap stormed up and told me to turn the " bloody noisy modern pump off" or words to that effect. What the gent didn't realise was that my engine was at least five years older than his engine and was built late WWII, he crawled back to his pit in silence and I sat down with a smirk on my chops. At full chat they are a tad noisy and suck petrol like there is no tomorrow :-))

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman