Meters Wanted

The old searchlight genny that we are restoring has need of a pair of meters that would fit the age of the control box, 1940's to 1950's.

Thye old meters have had water inside for some time and the movements are rotted away, although we have salvaged the cases and glasses, plus the remains of the old movements, and the scales.

0-150V DC Moving coil 0-50A DC moving coil

Body 3.5" diameter Flange 4.25" diameter

If anyone has anything close, please let me know, real money offered!

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Obviously you are checking eBay?

I've just picked up some 25A moving iron meters of WD vintage

Reply to
newshound

Well, I've got a Weston MOD 506 VM

40 volts Sq. bakelite case Sq. So mounting studs at 1.7/8" apart square pattern I believe the sealed envelope in the box contains the nuts.

Also 2 off, Metropolitan Vickers 20/0/20 amps. DC

2" ammeter, Ref. No. 5A/1633, with A(Crown)M beneath. Presumable Air Ministry. Serial Nos. 166184 and 967751. The lower serialled box is dated 1940.

As far as I can tell these are all unused. The bad news is that I live in British Columbia, The good news is that I will mail them to you Peter if you want them and you can pay me what you think they're worth after you've tested them.

Oh, and I also have an Air Ministry Thermocouple, manuf. by Sangamo Weston of Enfield Middx. Eng., dial dated 1941, Mod. 10a/12667, Resis.

0.06 ohms, scaled in Æ Amperes (yes, diphthong AE). The delivery slip enclosed is dated 1949 and it too appears to be unused.

Mike in Burns Lake, BC

Reply to
Michael Gray

Somewhat closer at hand, I once bought a whole box - two, actually, of meters from a bloke at Enstone . There are any number of "appropriate" meters readily to hand & I'd be happy to let you have a couple Peter. They are mostly milliamperes, but that's simply a matter of fitting suitable resistance & renaming the dials.

Any use?

Kim.

Reply to
kimsiddorn

A bit of an oddball, usually a 3" barrel has a 4.5" flange - just wide enough for 3, 4BA nuts on a 4"PCD and a box spanner. I've no good ones to spare, but they're not too difficult to find. Try amateur radio rallies / flea markets,

FWIW, I've a broken one - glass and outer case broken, you may be able to cannibalize. 50 V and 10A mc dual range, so you'll have to rearrange the shunt / series resistor and print a new scale. They're usually 1mA or 5mA movements for switchboard stuff, so you might just get lucky with the existing Rs.

Regards,

David P.

Reply to
David Powell

Just received a pair of Sangamo Weston 1mA meters from Kim Siddorn, just about as good a match as I could wish for, just need a bit of rescaling and we are off!

Many thanks to kim, and to all others who responded. Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Glad to help. How will you rescale them? Did you say you had a machine to do that?

regards,

Kim

Reply to
kimsiddorn

I have just removed the scales from the old meters, and while they could be used again, the paint is flaking away due to the water ingress. They will be scanned tonight, a film produced for our screen printer who will then print the scales onto the back of your meter scales, they will have been repainted in matt white.

There are differences in meter scale mounting as well, between the old and the new. Even the two old ones were different to each other!

Stripping the 'new' ones down, the body is a very tight fit in the outer case, and the sealed screw on each was different, but they came apart with no trouble.

The main scale is backed by a thinner scale of identical size, so I will probably get that painted and printed and keep the originals as the backing plate.

Peter

-- Peter A Forbes Prepair Ltd, Rushden, UK snipped-for-privacy@prepair.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Nothing close at all but I do have an Electroflo moving iron/coil meter, un issued and big, it is marked in deg C so I guess it's a process control for a pyrometer. It a linear travel (curved rather than clock face) if anyone is interested.

I also still have a valve oscilloscope by Waveforms both free to collector.

Andrew Heggie

Reply to
AJH