(Aero-)engine spotting

So what's this then?

130296019712

Air-cooled aircraft(?) radial, cylinder, head & piston.

My first thought was a Wright R-975 (as also used in the Sherman tank) because the exhaust side is so much more heavily finned than the inlet. However it looks wrong for that. Could it be a Kinner?

I think we can agree on the "UNKNOWN MAKE POSSIBLE ROLLS ROYCE. " part though 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Link has a space in it, try this:

Looks like an early 1940's radial of some kind, didn't think the Kinner went that large, but you could be right.

The lack of finning on the inlet side is unusual.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Looks quite new - ie, not WW2. One of the Russian or Chinese manufacturers perhaps?

I was offered a C-W four bank radial a while ago. Had to go to Arizona to fetch it though & and the thought of the look on Hazel's face as I rolled in with it on a trailer put me off!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

How about a Pratt & Whitney radial like a wasp major

Reply to
campingstoveman

I don't think so, because of the mechanical differences,

Most of the American radials have their valve gear and spark plug at the front, but this one has the pushrods behind, for example.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

Reply to
Charles Hamilton

AFAIR I tested a few of them years back, in big earth-movers

I'm assuming it's a radial, given the layout of the rocker boxes. In- line air-cooled engines have, IMHE, also tended to use separate cylinders but a shared head. If it's a radial, then most radials were in aircraft (apart, as I noted, from a few early-WW2 tank designs that grabbed the only high-power engines they could get).

It's eBay - vendors so rarely know what anything is! GF's dad is selling a "bit of a glass lampshade" at the moment, and it turned out to be a Lalique inkwell. Few hundred quid incomplete, few thousand if it had its lid too!

Reply to
Andy Dingley